It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: What angle to use on my knives?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:33 am 
Site Admin

hi,
i own a restaurant and i would like to buy the full monte edgepro kit, both for doing my own collection of quality kives, japanese and german, as well as the stamped ss knives used by my cooks.
questions:
what do i do about the double bevel on my several japanese knives? do i keep it, reshape to a single bevel at 15-20?? do i run it thru at 20 degrees followed by passes at 15 degrees?
I am less interested in collector polish,- as i am in in SHARP-CUTTING tools.
to avoid the tape hassles, are stones to replace that included?
thanks

Bob

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What angle to use on my knives?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi Bob,

The simple and easiest way to use the machine is to set the angle at 15 degrees and then sharpen all your double bevelled knives at that angle. It will take a bit of work to re-grind some of your knives that may have bevels that are less acute than this but once you get them done you don't have to mess around with the angle. I'm guessing you're a very busy guy and this would take some of the tinkering time out of the process and all your double bevel knives should work at this angle.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What angle to use on my knives?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:54 pm 

What Mark has posted is sound advice. On the other hand, iff your going to set all your knives secondary bevel at different angles. Keep a log book, I know it sounds crazy but is an absolute must in my eyes until you get to know yours knives and sharpening system . I don't think any stones above 5k maybe even 3k is needed for kitchen use. Meats nothing more than 1K, here I go stirring the pot...lol

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]