It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Clad vs. Mono-Steel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:51 pm 

Good heat treatment and grind is more important than if it's monosteel or clad.

Last edited by Jeff B on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hah - well put DefMunky! That's it exactly, "ting" vs. "thunk". You said much more succinctly than did I :-).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:23 pm 

"I think blade shape and grind (and the handle style) are what people are feeling and not the fact that the knife is clad or not. If someone wants to do a blindfold test at my office sometime I'll prove it."

I swear I can feel it in some of my clad knives, but I cannot be sure it is not all in my head. I would love to take you up on this, just for my own edification, but my doctor advised against using knives blindfolded in the future. :)

"some steels "ting" and some "thunk""

This is a good description. It is a bit like stereo speakers, one person's bright is another person's shrill, one person's full and round is another person's dark and muted. It is all preference. Until the Anryu, I would have attributed the feel entirely to cladding, at this point I think the feel is a combination of several things and the cladding is just part of the equation. I couldn't be sure without a blindfolded test though. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:31 am 
Forum Moderator

I guess I can see where a clad knife may be more dampened or dull [sounding] since there are dissimilar metals involved in the construction, but this might be a dullness in the sound it makes, not the sharpness. Kind of like a clear sounding bell versus a dull muffled dampened sound.

But I use a knife for cutting rather than as a musical instrument and if there is this difference, I really haven't noticed it or looked for it. I really can't see where it is important at all - or if it is really a phenomena.

I can appreciate the difference between a forged and cast iron anvil and see a practical difference in how well they work to conserve the energy of hammer blows, but for knives - IMO - it is a bit like marveling over the Emperor's new clothes :) I can't tell or appreciate the difference. Others say they can.

For Honyaki knives which are differentially hardened, in a way this is a bit like two steels and these blades are expensive and not something you want to try straightening out, which is a common problem with these blades.

It's not that I don't own or dislike monosteel knives, just that it is a very minor consideration to me.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:52 am 

I think like many other things if it is important to the user than it is important... for that user. lol It is a purely subjective matter because it is subject to an individual's opinion. If it was objective it could be proven. I honestly am not worried if a knife is clad or not, and was not when I made my purchase. My own subjectivity (I guess you could call it that) was that with my first Japanese knives I wanted a knife that a Japanese blade smith hammered from red hot steel in Japan. lol That was honestly my most important criteria; it had to be handmade in Japan. Is that important? Of course not realistically speaking, but it was to me as that is what I wanted and have wanted for a LONG time before finding CKtG. I know they are not the best knives and I knew that when I bought them, however they met my criteria, were a great price, used a good steel, and I received some very nice knives for the money I spent. Of course I could have bought some better knives for more money, or a Japanese production knife like a Tojiro DP for about the same price, but neither would have met my personal criteria and it would have bugged me and wouldn't have felt right even if the knives were just as good or better. Then again I could be crazy... lol

The point is (took long enough, eh? lol) that it doesn't have to make sense and it doesn't have to be proven. If it feels right to whoever is buying it, then it is right for them. So if someone wants a knife that "sings" to them and believes it performs better because of some resonance property, then more power to them and may they rock on with the monosteel! ;) lol

Besides, it leaves more clad knives for me to contemplate getting. :D

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2