It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Upgrading my Henckels. Shun, Mac or other?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:19 am 

Maintaining a carbon steel is a matter of developing good habits. It is not hard to do, you just have to make it a part of using the knife. Cut, rinse, wipe, next task....

Only you would know if you can learn a new trick :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:45 am 

Im aware of the cost would be a no brainer for me, im not the user im concerned about... ; )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:53 am 

The Kohetsu is a great knife for the money and having stainless clad it isn't nearly as much trouble to maintain as a full carbon. I've prepped entire meals with one and didn't wipe it or clean it up until I was finished and had no problems with it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 pm 

Jeff B wrote:The Kohetsu is a great knife for the money and having stainless clad it isn't nearly as much trouble to maintain as a full carbon. I've prepped entire meals with one and didn't wipe it or clean it up until I was finished and had no problems with it.

+1. My first Japanese knife was of similar construction. maca02, this is exactly how I started out coming from most likely a similar place in my knife skills. The very edge is going to darken, but it adds a nice contrast to the stainless knife face. More important is not using it like a cleaver on frozen food and bones. I imagine you would be very happy with this knife.
One thing that I did and I would recommend in general is to have the knife professionally sharpened prior to shipping. It will give you a sense of what the capabilities are and will start with a great foundation. I've heard the Kohetsu comes pretty sharp anyway so this may not be as necessary, but hey why not have Mark has his sharpener bring out it's full potential prior to shipping. I don't have any experience using ceramic rods so if it's beneficial here maybe start with that and a few months from now once things have settled in consider adding a basic stone setup.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:29 pm 

Slater wrote:Im aware of the cost would be a no brainer for me, im not the user im concerned about... ; )

It's important that any and all users have an understanding of the care required.

It's kind of like when you choose to buy a high performance sports car that requires high octane fuel, you just get in the habit of putting that in.

I've bought the knives I've bought with the understanding that they will perform at a higher level, but require more care (and of course they cost more). I'm quite comfortable with that decision, but not everyone is. And sometimes it's hard for others to understand.

But I'd start this conversation before purchase. The wiping of carbon isn't difficult, but it's also not something you want to have to have a discussion about every time the knife is used.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,

If it was your money would you lean toward the Kohetsu or the Konosuke?
Was hoping to keep these 2 knives the same brand which really isnt a deal breaker but no Santoku's in the Konosuke..
Which knife as more advantages the carbon clad Kohetsu or the stainless Kono?
Yes i'm overthinking all this & would be easier process if I was @ your store..

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

The Kohetsu will give you more for your money, and it comes in a Santoku. So, if you want to stay with the same brand (I encourage customers to mix and match since you learn more but I get it) I think the Kohetsu is the way to go. Get the Santoku now and try it and if you like it you can buy the others. If not you can come back and tell us what you dislike and we'll recommend something different.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:20 am 

Kohetsu Santoku & a MAC ceramic rod in route, thanks to everyone for the advise!
210 Gyuto & a Petty are next on the list, can easily see how this can be addicting & I havent even seen the knife yet...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:56 am 

Addicting? Understatement.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:34 pm 

Well we are doing Thanks Giving dinner at my house tonight cuz my italian mother throws a HUGE spread of food on T.G...
The knife wasnt suppose to be here till Monday according to the first & only glance of the tracking info, checked the mail & to my surprise knife is here!
This was suppose to be one of many knives for her x-mas present but could not resist giving it to her cuz of the pre Thanks Giving dinner she was cooking for us...
Stoked but think the obsession is going to continue with some stones next as I know the Henkels need some love.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2