It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:52 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Coconut oil vs. Camellia oil
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:58 pm 

I'm new in this forum so hello to all.
I just received my Murata Buho 165mm Nakiri blue #1 steel knife. This is the first steel knife I've ever owned so, I'm not accustomed to knifes of this high quality. I frequently use virgin coconut oil for cooking as well as seasoning/storing my cast iron pans. I noticed recommendations here for camellia oil for coating/storing these knifes. Since coconut oil has a comparable shelf life, I'm guessing if it would also be desirable for coating my new blue #1 steel knife. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Coconut oil vs. Camellia oil
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

I can't say I know this for sure, but I've never seen a vegetable/fruit oil that doesn't spoil at some point. Camellia oil does not as best I know.

Based on the cost of camellia oil, I personally wouldn't take the chance.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:21 pm 

Personally for stuff like my cutting boards, wood handles, and carbon steel blades I use plain mineral oil. It's odorless, tasteless, food safe, and won't go rancid over time. Plus it is cheap if you buy it from the local pharmacy (Look in the laxative section, lol). I think the last 16 oz. bottle of 100% mineral oil I purchased was like $5-$6. If you get "cutting board oil" which is usually just mineral oil it can be about $10 for an 8 oz. bottle.

Pretty much any food based oil you get is fat based and that is what goes rancid in the oil. If the oil in question has no fat it will probably be fine.

Beeswax can also be used to seal carbon blades as well.

With all that said, if you use your knife daily or even just a few times a week, a quick wash and wipe dry will suffice, no oil is needed. You pretty much only have to oil if you are putting it away for a while to protect the steel from humidity in the air. With frequent use, cleaning, and drying the only thing you will get is a nice patina which in its own way can help protect the blade a little. Think of it like a non-destructive oxidation that helps to keep real rust from forming, like bluing on a gun... just maybe not as protective. lol ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:04 am 

I just use mineral oil if I oil blades or handles. I can buy a quart of mineral oil for what a few ounces of Camellia oil cost. No nothing about coconut oil.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:39 am 
Forum Moderator

Camellia oil is often recommended but for me mineral oil works fine enough. I would avoid coconut oil as mineral oil is neutral. As a side note someone may be allergic to coconut oil (or worse peanut oil) so, aside from rancidity, this would be another reason to not use coconut oil. I'd also recommend using a microfiber towel to dry your knife to get that last bit of water off of your knife before you put it up. Putting oil over an improperly dried knife is a great way to get it rusty.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:27 am 

+1 for mineral oil from the laxative isle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:59 am 

Yeah, it took my wife a while to get over the fact I was using something in a bottle marked as a laxative (intestinal lubricant) to oil my cutting boards with... even after showing her the ingredients of an old bottle of board oil and that they were both 100% mineral oil. I finally just started peeling the labels off of the bottles. lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:10 am 

Muhahahaha, I live in a very dry climate, don't use either, just make sure its drys before it gets put away and its good to go, but if I had to, I would use mineral oil. Anything organic is going to break down and turn foul at some point.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

If you're using your knife daily oil is not necessary as long as you dry it. Both mineral oil and camelia oil are good choice and I don't think coconut oil would be a bad thing either as long as it's for short term use.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sidenote: Coconut oil is great for your ears. I've dealt with infections, antibiotics, multiple surgeries my whole life, but nothing seems to work as well as this stuff in your ears. Ten bucks for a tub that lasts you a year. ;)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next