It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: What should I get?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I am looking to get a third knife to add to my collection. I got a Tanaka Gyuto from you a little ways back and now want to expand on what i have. I am planning on buying a petty knife, sharpening stones and possibly one other knife in the next week. But was wondering, if a dont really cook fish and mainly do meat/chicken and vegetables is there any other knife i really need? If so what would you suggest and any recommendations for a petty knife?

Thanks,
Matt

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What should I get?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Matt,

Everyone is a little different. I'll give you a personal example. My wife cooks more than me, she drip dries her knives after she washes them. She likes a larger chef knife. We buy a lot of fresh local bread. We cook lots of fish and chicken but we usually buy stuff that is broken down. So for us, we use several 240 gyutos and grab what's clean and sharp, a 150 petty and a bread knife. We mix in other stuff but those are the main three types of knives we use over and over again.

Look at your use habits and buy a third knife that will address what will satisfy any special need that a gyuto and petty does not. For instance if you like to buy whole chickens all the time then a good boning knife might make a good third knife. Or, if you share a kitchen with someone that likes a smaller all purpose knife maybe a santoku would be a good fit.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Once you figure out what knife you want feel free to come back here and ask for specific recommendations. There is a how to ask for a recommendation thread that will give you some questions we like to have before we give you our favorite picks based on your use and budget here: ask-us-for-a-recommendation-here-s-how-t2310.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

A parer and a gyuto/chef's knife are the two most critical for me.

Then, in some order:

150mm petty
210mm petty/suji (I actually use my Suisin Inox Honyaki 210mm petty a lot)
Bread knife
285mm suji
Honesuki
Bone cleaver
240mm suji

So if you don't already have a good paring knife, look for the Shun Classic 3.5"....it's my favorite if for nothing else the shape of the handle. It fits my hand perfectly and most others agree.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]