It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My knives are here!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:57 am 

I ordered the Yamashin santoku and ko bocho on Saturday, and they were on my porch when I got home!

Thanks Mark and Sue!

The top one looks like it has a notch in the front, but that is just where the finish was ground off and you can't really see the sliver of silver there on the white. lol

So far I have put a first coat of oil on the handles as they were unfinished (made the bolsters extra shiny... lol) and stropped the edges to remove the varnish there to check out the sharpness. Holy cow are these things sharp! The only knife I have that would rival these is an old, carbon steel Old Timer pocketknife. Nothing in my kitchen is capable of coming even close. The little one bit me already when I wasn't showing it enough respect and attention. lol Nothing major, just a nick to let me know he was there. ;) I did find four small nicks in the big ones edge and only when checking it by cutting through paper. A visual inspection and a run over the edge of a fingernail confirmed they were there, but I had to look close to even see them. It isn't anything that will hamper my cutting in any way whatsoever and they will be taken care of the first time I sharpen it. Even with the nicks it blows away what I did have, which to be honest wouldn't have taken much. lol I'm also blown away with how light they are. I knew they weren't heavy, but it is almost comical how light they are.

So yeah, my first impressions of my first Japanese knives were very good. Color me impressed. Now I fear I will have to eventually spend the money on a "good" knife if the cheap ones are this nice. lol ;)

If my wife wasn't asleep I'd raid the fridge for a few innocent veggies to terrorize... lol

Post subject: Re: My knives are here!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:08 am 

ROFL Congrats! :lol:

Sounds like u are in heaven! They sound excellent for the coin and look beautiful. Now I understand what you mean't when talking about my knives I'd bought being much more than yours ;)

I can't wait for mine, I'm just flapping annoyed that somehow I didn't order with the Saya for my bread knife (too much cart editing over many hours). If I'm half as happy as you it sounds like I'll be over the moon!

Oh and I have a garden full of veggies I can smash to bits trying out my blades hehe :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:22 pm 

It's the next morning and I'm still exited about the knives. lol About to go to the doctor and then to work, so I still have not been able to put them through their paces other than initial inspection and admiration last night. :(

Sure the fit and finish aren't absolutely perfect, but they're not expensive knives, hand hammered (I think, lol), and have a high "cool" factor for me. They're Japanese knives, made by Japanese blade smiths. So what if they're entry level? lol I figure with white #1 I will have an opportunity to learn how to use water stones and correctly sharpen and thin the knives, and if I screw up I won't be ruining a $300 knife. So yeah, the only way to go is up from here. ;) Not to mention I love sharp metal objects, so almost any new knife purchase makes me giddy... I think it worries my wife at times. lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:12 pm 

Well, I had a little time before going to work so I played with my knives a little. I used the santoku to dice one half of an onion and french the other half. I also diced a potato and then decided to make some lunch with the frenched onions and diced potato. I diced a tomato and used the small knife to chop some parsley as I didn't want the little guy to feel left out! lol I then fried the taters in a little olive oil, added the onions to cook until the ends started carmellizing, then swept it all to one side of the pan and added some scrambled eggs. I took it off the heat and finished the eggs, threw in the parsley and tomatoes and mixed it all together to get this:

I felt the wedging of the knife in the onion more so than the potato, but it isn't anything I can't work with. I don't know that I have felt it like that with my other knives though. Maybe I was just paying attention this time. lol The knives did a great job and made nice, smooth cuts. Barely anything was left on the board after dispatching the tomato, unlike the puddles I used to have. Very nice, and they made a VERY tasty meal. :)

Here are the current knives in my line-up (Forschners 8" chef's, Yamashin santoku, and Yamashin ko bocho) on my new 18"x16" board I bought to go along with the two new knives:

And yes, I am planning to replace my Forschners with a 210mm gyuto around Christmas... so be prepared for some questions later! lol ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:29 pm 

It's great you are loving theses knives! Don't get rid of the Victorinox, it will still have it's place and times even after it's bumped from that #1 spot! I have one that still has it's moments when I need a real good beater.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:43 am 

Jeff I agree it's always good to have a beater around

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:50 am 

I'm keeping it. It isn't a bad knife for $30, and I figured it would work well if I have a situation where I am not sure if I want to use a harder edge. lol Given the steel they use it seems almost indestructible (within reason!) and it would be easy enough to fix. Right now I am using it to practice a little with the water stone I have. I got a cheap King combo stone to learn on. I got the edge the sharpest it has ever been (lowered the bevel a few degrees from how I normally sharpen) and it has a nice smooth edge, but scratched the sides up some doing so. It can shave and cuts paper well enough. I can't chop the edge of the paper and have it sink in like both Yamashins do, but after looking close at the edge I dunno if the Victorinox steel can get that fine on the edge. Oh well... it's sharp, it cuts, and it would be a great beater. I don't think I can ask much more from it after several years of faithful service. lol

Besides, I don't use it a whole lot anymore as my 7" santoku was my workhorse and I only reached for the Forschners when I needed a bigger blade. I don't really need a 210mm gyuto... but I still want one! lol ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Congrats! Glad you like the knives. Forschners are good knives in their own right, and are great to keep around for rougher duty or to hand to people you don't trust with your good knives :-).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you like the new knives defmunky! I love it when people share their new knives on the forum. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:09 am 
Forum Moderator

For the wedging, try this. Get some Norton Non Woven Abrasive pads: http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search ... 20abrasive Green, Maroon, grey and White is optional. Put them on a hard surface (like a counter or workbench/table) and strop the bead blasted area between the KU finish and the edge. I found that the bead blasting used to make a kasumi finish (contrast between cladding and core steel, cladding is a dull color and core is shinier) adds a TON of drag when cutting through foods. The pads leave the bead blasted look, but really smooth out the surface of the blade and should help with cutting performance.

210mm Kohetsu for the 210mm...unless you want all stainless. The a Kono HD (semi stainless) in 210mm. :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next