It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chosera stone crack
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:20 pm 

huh...i just noticed a crack in my 10k stone....right across the stone about a quarter of the way down. Not sure why they are cracking, the longest each of them has soaked is around 10 minutes and that is what you recommend before using them and I haven't put a lot of pressure on them when using them. Well, I will try to get both of them in the mail tomorrow. and by the way, CKTG, you have some of the best CS I have seen! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:49 am 

My 400 stone has developed a crack after a couple of uses. Its never been soaked for an extended period of time and was dried on a towel next to my sink. Its a fairly small crack and is in a spot that shouldnt hinder my use of the stone, but I just thought I would add my experience as it seems this may be a problem others may experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 am 

wow i like the service too! when i buy my own quality stone I am definitely coming here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:43 am 

Choseras are magnesia based and prone to cracking.I have had 2 10ks crack,3k and 5k,I would suggest a 2 minute soak maximum.Also be wary of the 8k snow white soak time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:46 am 
Forum Moderator

Lucian Broadcloak wrote:Choseras are magnesia based and prone to cracking.I have had 2 10ks crack,3k and 5k,I would suggest a 2 minute soak maximum.Also be wary of the 8k snow white soak time.

Disagree - a 2 minute soak time is way too little - give it 10 at least.

I have had my full Chosera set including the 8k Snow white for years, soaking it for sometimes 4 hours while re profiling hard knives - have not had a single problem to date.

When done sharpening, I lap and dry my stones and stow them away with a double folded paper towel folded across them....

The stones should not be permitted to dry too rapidly either.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:49 pm 

AAHHHHHH! I dont know what is going on but i got the 10k and the 5k sent to CKTG and just a few minutes ago I was sharpening with my 3k chosera and in the middle of a stroke, almost half of the stone fell off! So I put a drop of glue on the plate and tried to fit the stone back together but when I sharpen, I feel the crack hitting the edge of the knife so now I am down to a 220 EP stone, a 400 EP stone, and a 400 Chosera stone.

Here is a pic of the stone and the reason it is darker in some spots is that it was just after I was sharpening, just drying a little:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:13 am 
Forum Moderator

...mmmmm.....seriously, how much pressure are you using......3 stones cracking on you in such a short space of time.........definitely does not seem right.......?????

Coincidence.....I wonder.......???????

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you glued it, lap it first. That solved some issues for other people.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:35 pm 

...mmmmm.....seriously, how much pressure are you using

Just a little more than the weight of the arm... the only stones that I put a little more pressure on are the 220 and 400 EP stones...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:01 pm 

damn it sucks that your stone had to break. I would guess the pressure and angle you are using the knife at would affect it. Same thing happened to the one i have and i just have to use shorter strokes but still get great results. Just a different technique

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next