It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: >> South Florida Chefs/Cooks <<
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:17 pm 

I'm trying to break into the professional cooking world...Mentally you've got to be a bit crazy I suppose. Right now I'm a prep guy...but It's the slower season so to speak. My boss does these 12-15 hour days like it's nothing. I don't know how he does it. To top it off he works alongside his nagging wife...

Isn't it frustrating to see servers leave perfectly hot food sit? And isn't lovely when a server will walk by that hot food and have the juevos to say "It's not my table."

Grrr!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

UMBERTO <> 12 hour shifts are short shifts, the FOH is an inherently selfish bunch as typically they work on individual TIPS (there are plenty of FOH teams, but by far the minority), and male:female partners in the restaurant are much better than male:male partners... from my experience.

Look... I've been a cook into Chef for 24 years and have been tenacious enough & skilled enough to excel to upper echelon positions, but you have to be crazy or more often than not, just plain stupid, to enter this industry. No nights, no weekends, no holidays. 60/70/80/90/100/110 hour weeks depending on your constitution. Low pay. Poor work environments. Drug culture.

A moron enters this industry by choice... I fell into it.

Here's a pertinent read: new-job-could-use-some-advice-t1948-20.html?hilit=stroke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't trade jobs with you guys for all the tea in China. I worked in restaurants to help put myself through school when I was a kid and it's ball busting work for low pay (most of the time). Lots of stress and somewhat dangerous.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2