It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strop advice wanted.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

Good evening.

I’d like to get a strop that will handle all my needs without spending too much money (not sure which one to get). I am looking to sharpen kitchen knives (currently own Henckles set), folding knife, and straight edge razor I recently started using for shaving.

I am not sure if I need a stone as well or if the strop will do on its own if I do it regularly. Along with the strop, I am looking to get the 0.5 micron diamond spray. Any guidance is most appreciated.

Regards,

Jose

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Strop advice wanted.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

JOSE <> If you want to sharpen your tools, you need a sharpening stone(s). Strops don't sharpen, they hone... or true.. or refine an edge.

In your general application, 1/2 micron is too fine for your knives & too coarse for your SR. Try 2 balsa: 1) 1/4 micron diamond & 1) 1 micron boron carbide. Plus, one naked horse butt. KISS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

As Mel said, you'll need at least one stone to sharpen, and preferably more than that.

Most have stones somewhat along the lines of 500, 1000, and either 4000 or 6000 for knives. Razor folks and knife nuts like higher grit stones than that.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:31 am 
Forum Moderator

You won't meet your needs with one stone and one strop. You'll certainly need coarser stones for your knives - and even sometimes for your razors for repairs. And finer stones for your knives. And then compounds and strops.

I would suggest using stones up to ~ 8k and compounds on strops after that. Not a hard fast rule but reasonable. You could go up to a 30k stone before using compounds or start with compounds at 4k on a strop. Shaving below 8k is IMO distinctly uncomfortable. For comfort shaving, I'd recommend CBN over diamond all the way to tenth micron. Diamond produces a harsher edge. Cutting food is less about how comfortable the tomato feels getting cut :) For extremely fine diamond compounds beyond 0.1 microns, diamonds do produce a comfortable but exceptionally sharp edge.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]