It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Suggested first big knife purchase...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:53 pm 

Ok, here it goes. I'm no longer a cook but have had a lifetime passion for food and knifes. Especially Japanese knifes. I'm a home cook and have never used a sharpening stone either. But have sharpened many knifes in my lifetime and want to learn using Takedas hand stone whenever they come in stock. My question is for a home knife would you guys go for the full 240 gyuto classic, or the 210 gyuto? I'll be using this knife for basically everything. From Veg, to slicing thin pieces of venison for jerky making. I'm definitely decided on a Takeda, but wondering if the 240 will be a touch on the big side. I've always used smaller knifes and was just wondering what y'all think. $30 dollar difference so thats not the deal breaker. I ask because i most likely will not be able to purchase another knife of this price. SO this is got to be the keeper. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Suggested first big knife purchase...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:31 pm 

I am a home cook and use a 17"x21" cutting board and I use 240mms almost exclusively. On my board I have more than enough real estate to work, in fact you could probably take 2" off in each direction and I still would not feel cramped.

I do like the longer length because I can get larger products under the knife with fewer "strokes", the flat area before the belly is longer so is easier to push cut/chop without accordioning, and when rock cutting the longer length means a smaller range of motion is necessary to complete a cut. Additionally, some people will judge you merely on the size of your cutlery no matter how good your technique :)

-Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:39 pm 

If it helps, a 210mm gyuto is about the same blade length as an 8" chef's knife. A 240mm gyuto will be like a 10" chef's knife, but around a half inch shorter. If you have experience with and like a 9.5-10" blade and you have a board big enough then I would say go with the 240mm. If you are like me and used to 8" and under and don't really have the space for a larger knife then the 210mm should be fine. To be honest, I doubt many home cooks would find the 1.5" shorter blade of the 210mm knife crippling.

I personally do everything I need to do with a 7" santoku and 8" chef's, so the gyutos I have been looking at have all been 210mm as that is what I know I am comfortable with. Knife length is a highly subjective topic, but I hope the size comparison helps at least a little. lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:04 pm 

Some good advice so far. Didn't really think about my cutting board size, but thinking for a $30 dollar difference i'll most likely go with the 240. Plus i'm in Austin Tx, and everything here is bigger....HA. Thanks guys. I'm still not convinced yet, but leaning towards 240.....but I could live with the 210. See!!! I guess i'm not sold yet....Oh ADHD is so fun!!!! Thanks guys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:19 am 

To me a 240mm is the perfect size. I rarely reach for my 210mm anymore, but will on occasion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:43 am 
Site Admin

The Takeda 210s feel big since the knife is tall. It's less money which you know. It also is easier to control. If you have others in your house that are going to use the knife they will more likely use it if it's a little smaller. Most home cooks use 210s and we sell them about 4 to 1 over the larger ones.

I can argue the other side if you want. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:18 am 

If you're getting one, get the big daddy. I also had concerns about a 240. I've had two, the first was a thicker western handled knife and the other well, isn't. The former felt too big, the latter feels great. I still pull out my 210 though, but mainly because of maintenance reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:27 am 

Thanks again everyone. Gonna sleep on this. All good info. Really appreciate your input.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Like Mark has noted, the Takeda 240mm gyuto is rather large, not just in length, but in overall profile. The 210mm would be a good length, and if you wanted the 240mm length I think I'd get his Sasanoha gyuto profile:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taassala24gy.html

It's got a narrower profile and won't feel as heavy and large as the standard Takeda gyuto profile.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:12 pm 

The 240 will make life easier. Go for it. To heck with the wimpy 210. You want to slice that Texas brisket don't you? The 210 would be a touch short. But the taller geometry of the Takeda might feel larger, you still might ask yourself why I didn't get that extra bit of length.

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next