It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Line knife suggestions.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,
I am looking for a knife to keep on the line with me. Don't wanna spend alot and was thinking a deba or santoku. I prefer a wide knife. Doesn't have to be longer than 7 in or else it defeats my purpose.

Also I have been looking into carbon steel. If I patina the knife myself will it still need alot of care. Just nervous about rusting/ chipping. When I work do not wanna be super worried about wiping my knife, especially during a busy service. Any help or thoughts?

-DL

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Line knife suggestions.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi DL,

For this knife I would recommend a western handled stainless santoku. Line knives take a beating and you want something that works well but you don't have to worry about. Also, western handles are usually more durable.

There are 3 good and cheap stainless santokus that fit the bill for you. The Richmond is the tallest of the 3 and has the best steel and heat treat I think but the grinds on the Tojiro and Fujiwara are a little better in my opinion.

Fujiwara FKM: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmsa18.html

Tojiro: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpsakn17.html

Richmond: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/richmond1.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Now, if you really want to try a good but inexpensive carbon santoku try the Murata Buho: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mu16sa.html

This little knife is impressive and you can get it screaming sharp. It's lacquered on the blade and has a handle that is also lacquered so it should be ok for you in a commercial setting.

I really love being able to recommend about 20 options for any customer need. :) Selection, selection, selection. I would rather confuse customers with choices than not be able to offer them something that fits their price range and use habits.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:07 pm 

Thanks Mark!

I was eyeing up those Muratas for a while now. Just bought the nakiri!
Might have to block your site for a while, im running out of cash!

So obviously it will patina and such, but if i keep her clean and dry she should be okay?

-DL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. Just wipe it dry and that's it. If you get a little rust on it it's super easy to remove with a little bar keeper's friend or even soap and water. It's a fun knife so I think you'll enjoy it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:09 pm 

A deba is for breaking down stuff not chopping and slicing. The Tojiro VG10 steel are really good for the money and actually better than the more expensive Shun's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:20 am 

Bar Keeper's Friend... from my glass stove top to my stainless steel cookware to my knives to my stainless steel sink... I swear I use that stuff everywhere! lol

Nothing else I have tried beats it. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]