It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:25 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shobu Natural stone
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey ya'll! I was wonderin'.... I haven't seen any reviews on the Shobu yet, other than the one I did;

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shsannast.html

Just sharpened a Moritaka nakiri with it today. I went to the Shobu straight from a Shapton Glass 1,000. I worked up a little mud on the Shobu first with a Shapton 16,000 GlassStone, and my oh my, it gave a solid 5k shine with 6-8k refinement at the edge, and plenty of bite. To be honest, I want to know how much higher this stone finishes, because it seems that it may get you all the way up to 10k IMO. Really, it's my favorite Japanese natural to finish a kitchen knife with. The Ozuku Asagi doesn't give the type of mirror and teeth that this does, but the finish is a slightly brighter matte finish, and a little more refined.

I find it hard to believe the Shobu could give such a semi-mirror type finish and not actually be higher in refinement than that Ozuku, but I've gone back and forth a few times, and it seems the Ozuku makes you lose that semi-mirror and makes it bright-matte... but ultimately it's a harder stone and gives you a more refined finish. Following an Ozuku Asagi edge with CrO is enough to finish a razor.

Very funny how the Shobu was able to go straight from 1k, and even with some speed. It's pretty fast, especially for a natural. Mind you this was on Aogami Super steel (carbon), the stone is actually good enough to sharpen SG-2 meaningfully. Maybe I just got lucky with a super high quality stone, but I've yet to use a Japanese natural on stainless with so much success. White and blue steel get insanely sharp off of this stone, really, it's a great stopping point IMO. Going any sharper and you should have your head checked.

I strongly suggest you getting one of these stones next time they come back in stock. Well worth every penny, fast cutting, nice mud production, no soaking, and very good polisher. Add into your synthetic stone line-up, following a 1,000 or 2,000 stone with the Shobu is a 1-2 synthetic/natural knockout.

If you have one of these stones, please talk about it! :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Post subject: Re: Shobu Natural stone
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 am 

Don't have one, but want one now :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

I'm out at the moment. Shosui is sending me more along with some cut up ones for the Edge Pro.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Knife Fanatic wrote:Hey ya'll! I was wonderin'.... I haven't seen any reviews on the Shobu yet, other than the one I did;

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shsannast.html

Just sharpened a Moritaka nakiri with it today. I went to the Shobu straight from a Shapton Glass 1,000. I worked up a little mud on the Shobu first with a Shapton 16,000 GlassStone, and my oh my, it gave a solid 5k shine with 6-8k refinement at the edge, and plenty of bite. To be honest, I want to know how much higher this stone finishes, because it seems that it may get you all the way up to 10k IMO. Really, it's my favorite Japanese natural to finish a kitchen knife with. The Ozuku Asagi doesn't give the type of mirror and teeth that this does, but the finish is a slightly brighter matte finish, and a little more refined.

I find it hard to believe the Shobu could give such a semi-mirror type finish and not actually be higher in refinement than that Ozuku, but I've gone back and forth a few times, and it seems the Ozuku makes you lose that semi-mirror and makes it bright-matte... but ultimately it's a harder stone and gives you a more refined finish. Following an Ozuku Asagi edge with CrO is enough to finish a razor.

Very funny how the Shobu was able to go straight from 1k, and even with some speed. It's pretty fast, especially for a natural. Mind you this was on Aogami Super steel (carbon), the stone is actually good enough to sharpen SG-2 meaningfully. Maybe I just got lucky with a super high quality stone, but I've yet to use a Japanese natural on stainless with so much success. White and blue steel get insanely sharp off of this stone, really, it's a great stopping point IMO. Going any sharper and you should have your head checked.

I strongly suggest you getting one of these stones next time they come back in stock. Well worth every penny, fast cutting, nice mud production, no soaking, and very good polisher. Add into your synthetic stone line-up, following a 1,000 or 2,000 stone with the Shobu is a 1-2 synthetic/natural knockout.

If you have one of these stones, please talk about it! :D

Haven't seen the mirror finish of the Shobu, but I can tell you that the Ozuku Asagi spritzed with 1µ Mono diamond gives a near perfect mirror - very little (if any difference) between this and the 30k Shapton mirror IMHO.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Shobu consistently gives a more semi-mirror finish than the Ozuku for me. I can compare it to a good Shapton 4k shine. When going from the Shobu to the Asagi it seems that the Asagi un-does the mirror a bit, but makes it brighter. I dunno... maybe need to spend longer on the Ozuku? I hate spending too long on any one stone, so maybe a small jump is needed between the 2 stones. Hmmmm.....

I honestly haven't tried the Ozuku with diamond spritz, or building a good slurry first, but rather, I use it strictly for sharpening the edge and no polishing. Once the edge is where I want it I quit. Honestly haven't used the Ozuku in about a month... time to dust er' off I s'pose.

"Natural stones: The other rabbit hole." :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]