It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nakiri help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:03 am 

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and didn't know if I should post my question in the already existing nakiri post a little lower. If so, I guess someone can remove this and/or stick it onto the other one.

Anyway:

I'm looking for a nakiri (my first one). I do plenty of prep work (mirepoix, soups, brunoise, etc etc.) I've been looking around a bit on the site and kinda liked the Itto-Ryu white #1 180mm and the Takeda Classic Bocho 165 Large.

What do you guys think of these or suggest instead?

I'm right handed, not too picky on the type of steel the knife is made of, I prefer japanese type handles, I know how to sharpen and I would be willing to spend up to 300$ for a good piece of equipement.

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Nakiri help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:18 am 
Forum Moderator

Lots of great choices out there!
Kono HD 180mm. Nice and thin, great edge holding and slightly longer at 180mm...most Nakiri's are 165mm. The HD series is semi stainless, so it has easier maintenance and will discolor/react less with acidic foods.

Shiro Kamo R2 looks like an awesome blade, too! All stainless for easier maintenance, and the R2 steel takes and holds a wicked edge.

AS Laser Nakiri, Kohetsu Nakiri, Anryu, Goko are all carbon core clad in stainless and will work well. If you like all carbon, the Masakage Shimo or Tanaka Sekiso would be ones to check out as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdna18.html

I'll second the recommendation for the HD2 nakiri. Ideal length, great steel, great geometry.....nice handle and great F&F. And almost completely stainless which I prefer in the nakiri.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:18 pm 

And the Konosuke HD2 Nakiri is in stock! It wasn't yesterday, and it may be gone tomorrow, so if you want it, don't wait. All the Konosuke knives don't have "out of stock" underneath them perpetually for nothin'. I really, really, really wanted one particular Kono, was just too tired to order it one day, and it was gone. Saying that the Fujiyama Gyuto White #1 has been fabulous just doesn't do it justice.

The HD's come highly, highly recommended as a group by a lot of very knowledgeable, experienced people on this forum - though Kono's Petty's are a little narrow for some tastes - so just do it.

Needless to say, I placed my order before posting this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:09 am 

I say this one if it wasn't sold out

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tastclnala.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:26 am 
Forum Moderator

Takeda nakiri are nice too!!

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:37 pm 

Thanks for the input. I ordered the Konosuke HD2 Nakiri. Can't wait to try it out!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Please come back and let us know what you think!

BTW we just got 50 of the Konosuke 240mm HD2 Gyutos back in stock. I know a bunch of people were waiting for them so we should be good for a couple months on these. We only have a couple of the Nakiris left.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:25 am 

Wow, pretty impressive so far. I got it yesterday evening and only used it for a few hours today at work , but I can tell I'm gonna fall in love with this!

Can't wait to go back at the restaurant tomorrow morning, haha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:38 am 

I love, love, love my HD2 Nakiri. I stropped it a bit on my Jnats first then went to town. My wife won't touch my Japanese knives (which is good, as she'd probably use a plate instead of a cutting board), but she is using my old Wüsthofs occasionally to defend her barb thrown at me along the lines of, "You used to think these were the greatest knives made." Progress, not perfection. She did say she was expecting something along the lines of a paring knife, so...

Next project: her son is getting married in May and I mentioned getting the happy couple something along the lines of a Richmond Artifex Gyuto and petty and she was insistent on a Wüsthof set, so I have a little work to do. Mind you, this is the same woman who thinks a point and shoot camera with its molecular-sized sensor can take photos of the same quality as my Nikon D700 with a Zeiss lens. Ah, well...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]