It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Edge Pro Apex 4 shipped
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:31 pm 

Wow! I wish I would have found this forum earlier, it would have saved me a lot of time and questions. I placed an order yesterday with Chef Knives To Go but not knowing exactly what I needed I ordered the Edge Pro Apex 4 because it was listed as a "best seller" and it looked like it had a lot of the stuff I had read about. Of course that was before I found this forum. After reading some posts on here I may have been better off going with some different stones and a stone flattener. I guess I can always make additional orders!

I'm not experienced at all when it comes to knife sharpening. I have a Spyderco Shapemaker that I really haven't been real satisfied with trying to sharpen my wife's kitchen knives as well as my pocket & hunting knives. Hopefully if everything I hear about this Edge Pro is true I will be more than happy.

Just wanted to say hi and I will be checking back in when I get the unit and let you all know how it works for me.

Post subject: Re: New Edge Pro Apex 4 shipped
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:12 am 

Hello,

You will be more than happy with your purchase, welcome to the Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:22 pm 

Sharpening by hand definitely takes some work to develop the skill needed to get a consistent angle and sharp edge. I have been hand sharpening my knives since I was about 12 (26 years) and I still don't feel that I have perfected it. I am very effective, but there is always room to grow and learn. If you have a hard time sharpening by hand then I am sure you'll love the Edge Pro. I don't think I have heard anyone saying they hate theirs, only that they managed to get all of their knives scary sharp. lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:41 pm 

Just a quick update...

My Edge Pro arrived Wednesday and I finally got a chance to use it the past couple of days. I've managed to sharpen all of my wife's kitchen knives to a lot better edge than they have ever had. The serrated knives have been a challenge. I tried to follow the instructions that came with it as well as videos I have found on the internet but the ones that were really worn didn't improve much. The lesser used ones seemed to be better.

Filet knives are hard fo me to get a good edge on but I'm getting better. Pocket knives have turned out real well. I have this 20+ year old Buck folder model 110 that has seen the wheel of my grinder before. I was able to use the 120 grit stone and thin the blade and put a double bevel on it. This knife is shaving sharp now. My other knives turned out real well too. I just ordered a 1/2" stone for a ZT 301 knife I have. The factory EP stones put a better edge on the knife than it came with however it was difficult to get a good polished edge on the recurve part of the blade. I also ordered the stone leveling kit as well.

I just now pulled my ZT301 out of my pocket and was able to slice a tomato into paper thin slices, unbelievable! I'm a believer...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:00 pm 

I'm glad it worked out so well for you! :)

Depending on the serrations, most are single bevel and you can get away with sharpening a slight bevel on the flat side a little just to bring the points back, as that is what usually gets dull. That isn't really a correct way to do it but it is easy and quick. lol The more proper way would be to use a file or stone that fits in the serration in question and sharpen the entire edge of each serration on the beveled side, and maybe strop the flat side (with the knife flat on the strop) to polish of any burr that may be left.

I tend to stay away from serrations unless it is a steak knife, due to it being used to cut on ceramic plates, and bread knives, for being able to "saw" through a crust without crushing it. I have yet to really have to sharpen either. Other than that I love plain edges that are easily sharpened.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:38 am 

To get more consistent sharp edges on fillet knives...
use a good magnet
use a sharpie
set your blade guide to the widest part of the blade
sharpen only in the middle of the table by moving the blade
watch how much of the edge is hanging over the table compared to the widest.

By doing this, it will take the flexibility and shape of the of the blade out of the equation.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]