It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Restricted items in shopping cart...can't ship int
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:35 pm 

Hi all,

After weeks of trawling through this forum and CKTG I've bitten the bullet and am placing an order, however I am getting this message when trying to pay;

One or more items in your cart are restricted not to use the shipping method that you chose

I have checked every item to see if it is US only but they all seem fine, so what is the problem? Destination Australia.

This is my order;

Your Order
Item Cost
1 Kikuichi
Swedish
Warikomi
Damascus
Gyuto 210mm

$244.00
1 Kikuichi
Swedish
Warikomi
Damascus
Petty 150mm

$166.00
1 Shun Premier
Paring Knife
4"

$119.95
1 Super Eraser
(Cleans
Ceramic Rods)

$5.00
1 Idahone Fine
Ceramic
Sharpening
Rod 12"

Options : With Sheath (+8.95)

$38.95
1 Knife
Sharpening
Complete 8pc
Set

$189.95
1 Shun Bamboo
11 slot Knife
Block

$59.95
1 Richmond
Artifex Bread
Knife 270mm

Options : Without Saya

$89.95
Subtotal: $913.75
Tax: $0.00
Total: $913.75

Thanks guys
Homer

Post subject: Re: Restricted items in shopping cart...can't ship int
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:00 am 

Ok I've just found out that Knife blocks can't be shipped internationally so this may help others in the future.

BTW, what do you guys think of my selection for a home cooking enthusiast?

Cheers,
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:06 am 

Looks like a pretty nice set up to me! I been wanting a couple Kikuichi Warikomies myself. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:13 am 

Looks like a great setup for a home cook!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:00 pm 

Thanks guys! I really can't wait to get them and hope the Aussie customs guys don't spend days admiring them before releasing them to my welcoming hands :-)
The only doubt I had was with the Shun paring knife however that seems like an excellent knife (even if it is a Shun).

Thank you to all the forum contributors who have made my job of researching my first lot of Japanese knives much much easier! It really is a fantastic place to learn all about knives and how to keep them in tip top shape.

Any tips on anything I should do when I first get them? I intend to use a knife block so is it better to put the knives in upside down or doesn't it matter?

Cheers
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:59 pm 

The Shun petty actually has a pretty good reputation. As far as the block is concerned, in a perfect world it is best not to slide or rest the knife on it's edge. Does it make that much difference, probably very little. What is most important is to be careful and gentle when removing and replacing the knives in the block and all will be well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:39 am 

Doh!

I didn't realise I'd ordered the Richmond Artifex Bread Knife 270mm WITHOUT the saya! I am not sure how on earth I'm going to store this knife safely and having one posted to Australia separately would cost a fortune (I imagine).

I already have a shipping consignment number so I assume it's too late to make this package :-(

Suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:42 am 

Personally I have never had an issue with wooden blocks dulling my knives. Like Jeff B said, don't go throwing them in there or go hacking or sawing on the block with the knives. lol Placing them in there should be just fine. The knives go through much more trauma being used on a cutting board IMO. I used a counter top block for a while, then switched to a magnetic strip because I like the presentation. Now I have cats so I use an in-drawer block to keep them safe since it is impossible to keep them off the counters. So far I haven't seen any detriment to the edges of my cheapo knives and they sit with all their weight on the edge which in turn is on the wood. If it doesn't hurt that crap steel, I can't imagine it would do anything to the MUCH, MUCH better steel of what you bought. Just make sure your knives are bone dry before going into the block. If the wood gets wet from the blade it can possibly hold the water against the blades. Carbon knives will love you and stainless knives aren't stain/rust proof.

Oh yeah! I just remembered... I have also seen blocks where the knife slots are sideways. Looking at the CKtG site some of the ones Mark sells are like that. I know you can't get a block from the site, but if the one you bought or already have has that feature then dulled blades are a moot point anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:58 am 

For a 270mm (10.6") you might see if you can find something like this locally: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/wu12slblgu.html

Victorinox also makes a 10.5" magnetic blade protector as well, but it could possibly leave .1" of the blade open... lol I guess that really depends on if they cut it exactly 10.5" or give you a little slack.

Neither is an authentic saya and won't look anywhere near as cool, but they will keep you and your knife safe.

Another option is if you have a friend into leatherworking (or a local shop, or even yourself if you feel creative!) you could have a leather sheath made. There are tons of YT vids about it, and I have even seen some about making wooden sheaths. Again, not the saya that comes with it, but a well made leather sheath is always one to admire, and a wooden sheath would essentially BE a saya. lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:29 am 

Thanks DefMunky,

I'm not too worried about the cost of a Saya (I'd happily pay the $35 for one), I'm just annoyed that shipping will make buying one prohibitive. Great suggestions however :-)

Perhaps I'll just mount them on a magnetic strip. I assume that won't have any negative affect on the knives.

Thanks!
:-D

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next