It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:58 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Does being vegetarian turn a nakiri into an allrounder?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:08 am 

Alright guys, thanks a lot for your answers so far!

Let me change my question a bit: i want to buy a nakiri (yuki series most probably). Would i regret the decision of not buying a more versatile knife, given that i wont prepare any meat or fish? (going to start uni, i dont really have the budget to buy 2 high quality knives (at first))

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:34 pm 

Brainless wrote:Let me change my question a bit: i want to buy a nakiri (yuki series most probably). Would i regret the decision of not buying a more versatile knife, given that i wont prepare any meat or fish? (going to start uni, i dont really have the budget to buy 2 high quality knives (at first))

Since you're asking this question, my guess would be, "Probably." A gyuto is generally more versatile. Though some people manage just fine with a cleaver or nakiri as their main knife.

In your first post, you said you really like nakiris. Now you seem to be thinking about versatility. Do you like nakiris more than you like versatility?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:45 pm 

I just want to know if i can combine both since i wont be preparing much besides vegetables and nakiris are made for vegetable preparation.
I was just wondering if a true allrounder gyoto would actually make sense when i'm not going to use the full versatility of it because i wont work with fish nor meat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:37 pm 

I think you need a point on your knife if you want an all around knife EX:when cutting cauliflower you are going to find it harder to do with nakiri than a gyuto. So with that I say nakiri is not a good all around knife even if you are just cutting vegetables

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:11 pm 

It all comes down to personal prefrence and how you use your knives. Don't worry about what a knife is designed to do.

If you use the tip of your current knife or like to use a rocking motion a nakiri isn't the best choice.
If you never use the tip and don't rock than a nakiri could be perfect for you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:31 pm 

Brainless, You seem to have your heart set on a Nakiri, which will serve you well. I don't think you will be disappointed with one. That is what I would start with and after you use it for awhile and see where it might be lacking you can purchase a petty, parring knife or whatever else you find you might need later. JMHO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:48 pm 

Brainless, I think Kirk's and Mark's posts above are helpful. Yes, a nakiri is a vegetable knife, but it's better to get beyond WHAT your are cutting, and think more of HOW you cut. If you don't need a knife with a tip, and will be happy with a flat blade that isn't made for rocking, then your answer is yes. If not, your answer is no. That question is about what you need.

If you just *want* a nakiri, that's a different issue. If you want it that much, get it.

If you buy something decent, you could likely sell it later for a good percentage of what you paid, and use that money to buy something that would suit you better. This would be true if you bought a gyuto or a nakiri now.

You can also get by with some inexpensive Victorinox Forschners to fill out your knife kit for a while, if necessary. You can get a paring knife for $6.95.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:36 pm 

If you have a knife you are loving, buy it. I suspect you will love the Masakage Yuki, I almost bought the 240mm gyuto a few weeks ago. You will get the job done with what you have, I've done prep with a pocket knife occasionally. If you love your knife and can get the job done, then whose to question your choice. If you really love the knife and want to add to the cutlery collection later, you can consider a gyuto then...or if your still in love with the nakiri buy another one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:01 pm 

You could also get a couple of inexpensive high value knives to try out and see for yourself which you prefer. If you don't like one you aren't out a lot of money in the first place and could probably recoup some of the cost by selling it. A Yamashin nakiri AND 210mm gyuto can be had for about $150 for both. Tojiro DP series nakiri and 210mm gyuto can also be had for $150 for both and the ITK series for $110. That is less than the cost of a single knife in many cases. You can then compare the styles directly and keep the one you want, or keep both if you like them both, or buy a better one in the style you like and sell both of the others. One can never have too many knives! lol

Personally I love the santoku style myself, but like many others have said, it is subjective and depends on the user. After doing some research on these knives, I think I'll be trying a gyuto out myself sometime in the near future. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:09 am 

Thank you very much for your helpful answers!
Got one thing less to brood about now :)
Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2