It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Does being vegetarian turn a nakiri into an allrounder?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:49 pm 

Here's the thing: I want to invest in one good kitchen knife, so it should be a good allrounder. I would usually go for a santoku, for i like the shape and the japanese style and all that. But since it seems to be mainly designed for cutting meat, fish and vegetables and i won't be cooking neither meat nor fish, it looks like a nakiri maybe a better choice. Plus i really like nakiris.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Does being vegetarian turn a nakiri into an allrounder?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:59 pm 

A gyuto will almost always be a more versatile choice above the nakiri no matter how you slice it. Longer length, flat spot + belly, and tip are three characteristics a nakiri lacks in or won't have at all. Check out my demo of the Kohetsu 240mm Gyuto. I would recommend the 210mm from this line for you.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu24gy.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:23 pm 

A santoku or a nakiri are fairly flexible.

I used a santoku exclusively for about a year, though I am an omnivore. They are not meat specific in design. My understanding is they were designed to be an all-round tool. Only real draw back is the length. The shorter length makes rock cutting difficult to impossible, and the total product you can work with at a time is less so it is more work. I liked the santoku because is stores, travels, and uses well in cramped quarters.

The nakiri is a bit more specific, it can only really push cut or chop, not tip work friendly. It is a dream to break down mirepoix, etc...

Since getting a gyuto I almost never use either my nakiri or santoku. The greater length allows me to work with more product at a time and use a greater variety of cutting motions, so it is a time/effort saver.

If I had to buy all my knives again a naikiri would likely make it onto the list just for fun, the santoku would be a runner-up candidate for an all rounder in small spaces, and a gyuto would be my unquestioned number one purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:39 am 

I agree with Cedarhouse that if you had to pick 1 knife for all around vegan use I would choose a gyuto. The extra length of a 210 or 240 blade is a better choice than a Nakiri for all size veges and fruits as well. A gyuto with a good geometry and profile would be a better choice for push cutting,rock cutting and slicing. The fine tip of a gyuto is a real plus for doing thin slicing on onions, garlic, shallots etc. Mincing herbs is a breeze with the belly of proper gyuto. I have a Nakiri and Santoko that see very limited use. I use my Gyutos everyday.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:10 am 
Forum Moderator

The Kohetsu 210mm performed nearly as well as a Nakiri when I got to play with one. The 240mm Kohetsu is a little thicker overall, but still performs well. A good nakiri is a fun knife to have. It cuts thru veggies easier than 99% of the gyuto's out there, is shorter and lighter to use as well. A good Nakiri is better than a so so gyuto cutting wise in veggies IMHO and about the same as a thin Laser style knife. Nakiri's are generally thinner overall than most gyuto's at the spine and work very well for precise cuts and have less resistance while cutting than most gyuto's (Laser or not) have. Tanaka Kurouchi or Sekiso, or the Richmond AS Laser Nakiri's are awesome! For a heavier duty Nakiri, look at the Anryu or Goko nakiri's. The Kono Nakiri's should be nice and thin and work very well based on the other Kono's I have used. I expect the Kohetsu Nakiri to be a great cutter as well.

When I cook, I do very little tip work and will often just use the Nakiri for all of my veggie prep. It's lighter, faster and more nimble than a Gyuto for me and just works better. Most of my gyuto's are in the midweight class, some are lasers behind the edge, and I still find a Nakiri cuts better. Even my Kono Lasers will often get out cut by the Nakiri. I'm not mowing down cases of veggies, usually an onion or two, potatoes, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, etc cooking for myself and family. The flat spot on the Nakiri is about the same length as the flat spot on most gyuto's, so if you push cut, the extra length is a moot point.

For people who cook at home, quantity of food rarely comes in to play and I have used a 165mm Nakiri or Funayuki to prep whole meals for myself before without feeling handicapped. I have even used a Nakiri to trim and slice down steaks and other proteins. I pretty much push cut everything, except proteins, so I don't miss not having a belly on the Nakiri. Even with no belly, the Nakiri still sliced/shaved steaks nicely! If you need a pointy tip, look at a Funayuki, either a 210mm funayuki gyuto or a 165mm funayuki. Nice flat spot and a pointy tip.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:31 pm 

Brainless, I agree with the general sentiment (in this thread and elsewhere) that a gyuto is a more versatile knife shape. I use my gyutos more than a nakiri, but I still have a nakiri.

If you already have one and find that style works for you, then I'd stay with it. You probably also have some kind of pointy knife for when you need a tip. I think it comes down to how often you would need to use a knife with a tip, and whether you care about having to pull out another knife on occasion. I'd guess for most home cooks that wouldn't matter much (some of us quite like using more than one knife, just cause it's fun!).

I think Cedarhouse's final sentence sums it up nicely: "If I had to buy all my knives again a naikiri would likely make it onto the list just for fun, the santoku would be a runner-up candidate for an all rounder in small spaces, and a gyuto would be my unquestioned number one purchase."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:34 pm 

while i eat jsut about everything the wife and i find that a 210 nakiri and parer are most all we ever use. a nice long slicer for meat or breads woudl round out our house nicely (think 13 inch slicer or more if you can handle it)
BTW look for a nakiri with the last inch or so rounded so you can still rock the knife or do some tip work (also keep you from sticking the tip into the board)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

You'd want something with a point...whether that be using your nakiri as the primary and having a paring knife around, or having a short gyuto.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:04 am 

I am vegetarian and had a nakiri and then switched to cck cleaver and now Richmond fanatic. Now when I use nakiri at work I find them to small, I like to scoop up my vegetables like a shovel, and the cleaver is light enough for detail work and has enough heft to power through any tough vegetable, it's perfect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 am 

Great, sounds like a consensus!

We all agree a gyuto, nakiri, a Chinese cleaver, or anything with a point....or without should work fine for you.

:)

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next