It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:58 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kohetsu 240 Gyuto demo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Check this out. Great video from one of our customers!

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu 240 Gyuto demo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:08 pm 

I already managed to scratch up the beautiful finish of my Kohetsu. Is there any way I can polish it back or should I consider it a vain cause and let it be? So far it cuts great. I am able to do a task in the kitchen then steel it again and return to a new task. Hopefully this evening I'll get to dice some tomatoes.

It does a nice job on slicing boneless meats. It also does a great job on shallots. The 240 size does not feel that much bigger compared to the Shun Classic. I think the weight is pretty nice. Mine weighed under 160 grams. I have to get used to using the blade with motions instead of perpetual push cutting. I love the tip gliding through veggies.

It's a great nice. It breaks my heart that I scratched it up so much, I guess I should just use the heck out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:21 am 
Forum Moderator

Norton pads work pretty well for at least masking the scratches. I have them in Maroon, Green, Grey and White. If you need to resand deep scratches, I would start with 220 grit sandpaper on a leather or cork surface (something with a tiny bit of give) and follow the factory scratch pattern perpendicular to the edge. From there, move up to 320, 400, 600 until it is to your liking, you can go higher or stop at a lower grit.

http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search ... 20nonwoven

How deep are the scratches and what are they from? The Stainless cladding is softer than the blade steel and minor scratches will come out with the pads, scratches from sharpening stones I usually need to go to sandpaper or the belt sander to finish them out. I have Cork and ScotchBrite belts for the sander to do quick satin finishes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:21 am 

umberto, I think the scratches are all a part of personal preference... personally I say leave them, I consider them battle scars. At the end of the day the knife is a tool and was meant to be used... you can spend a lot of time chasing errant scratches...imo, time better spent enjoying cooking. the more you worry about scratches the more you will baby the knife and the less it will get used.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

I never worry about scratches on my knives. They're supposed to be used a lot and scratches are the cost of using them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:51 pm 

very cool video. love the OOTB shine on the edge

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]