It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Murray Carter blade smithing course.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Branwell - what a GREAT post, man! Thanks for sharing. You were totally engaged in the spirit of the learning and not just the doing - that's really cool :-).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

A couple years ago I shipped a Doi Kiritsuke to a customer and the Fedex driver must have run over the package because the knife was bent it like a pretzel. I was going to throw it out but I emailed Murray a picture of it and he wrote me back "send it for repair'. When he returned it about a month later I couldn't believe my eyes. The thing was dead straight! I was shocked at how well he repaired that knife. He's a very talented blacksmith as you know from experience.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:24 pm 

Three knives is a lot for such a short time. How does the big blade cut? Is that intended to be a slicer? Or a kitchen utility knife? I think there is a lot of validity in the Carter sharpening videos when he says technique is more important than the actually stones used. Last night I worked on an Old Forgecraft knife. I practiced convexing.

I don't quite understand why forum trolls enjoy bashing Carter knives. His knives are expensive but they aren't certifiably insanely priced like Kramer knives.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:14 pm 

Hi Umberto,

Thank you for the kind words.

The larger is 165mm and I've been using it as a general prep knife in the kitchen cutting veg, fruit, and slicing meats. Its extremely thin and has what is virtually a zero grind primary edge, i.e. the flat ground secondary is taken down to the edge and the primary is little more than a 7 degree per side micro bevel of that. It does cut exceedingly well and so far is not showing any signs of chipping. I got to say, I am pretty impressed with it, but given that I usually use a 210 or 240, it does feel small.

As for people bashing Carter knives, who's to say why people say what they say. I think Carter does what he does exceedingly well and if what he does and the materials he uses are in alignment with what you are looking for, then his knives are a bargain.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:23 pm 

Fantastic post, thanks so much for sharing it, what an experience that must of been. I truly envy you the opportunity to learn from Murray and walk away with so much knowledge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:59 pm 

That's so awesome, wish I had the time and money to go for a class

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2