It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Re-conditioning Cast Iron Pans
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:48 pm 

Nice! It really feels good getting some old cast iron back in business. I've got a skillet of my great aunt's that I use almost every day...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Love those big burners! I have a couple of 320k btu burners and have gotten to the point where reconditioning them to a nice patina or finish is so easy to do and redo that I'm just not that fanatic about preserving the patina so much anymore (yes this is sacrilegious) So if I've just burnt the hell out of something I just take it down to metal and redo the patina back to non stick loveliness. With enough heat you can just turn the finish to white ash, then throw some oil on it (instant ignition) with the big burners a few times and you're good to go again.

OK I know some of you are gasping in horror at treating CI this rough, but it certainly takes it. I use CI daily for cooking and have for years. I use enameled CI too, but for extreme searing and heat, plain CI and big btu burners are the way to go.

Those Salmon pinwheels look fantastic! And that Kadai (multiple spellings) looks beautiful. I haven't fired mine up for a while. This post is going to make me gain weight! Nicely done.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:49 pm 

You should really season that pan a few times...It's a stinky process that will smoke up the house but a few seasonings will really help the pan out. I can see that the carbon has some spots where it didn't stick.

Sand the entire pan down with various grits until it feels polished smooth. Then generously rub lard or oil all over the pan...I mean really let it drip...Use a sheet pan or something to catch the drippings.

Bake the pan upside down so the oil comes out. Bake it at 450 for an hour and a half...Let it completely cool. Repeat the process. A nice uniform layer of carbon will build up. If it feels gummy or scraps off then it's not seasoned.

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2