It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Looking for a petty knife
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:30 pm 

I agree with what others have said- blade height is an important consideration. Taller gives you more knuckle clearance for use on the board, and a longer-lived knife, but can make some things you might use a petty for for meat preparation slightly more difficult (or so I hear, I'm a vegetarian :-))
As far as the steel goes, I think you'd probably be OK with stainless clad carbon, but you also might appreciate the edge retention you'd get from something like the R2 of the Kamo. I do know that white steel is super-easy to sharpen. My current petty is a Tanaka damascus with blue steel core, 150mm. Edge retention seems good so far, and the core steel takes a nice patina, but the reactivity of the cladding would make it a no-go for you. It isn't bad, but it sure isn't stainless!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 pm 

The Hiromoto AS is certainly not beefy. And its stainless counterpart in Ginsanko-3 is to be considered as well. I would prefer a stainless as even AS will suffer somewhat from acidic fruit. But both are great performers at a very acceptable price level, I would think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:05 am 
Forum Moderator

I guess I was the only one of whom interpreted, "...comparable steel to the TKC." as him wanting high-quality semi-stainless.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:28 am 
Forum Moderator

Melampus - I think the issue is that there is only one 150 petty semi-stainless alternative as you pointed out; and it's also a really short petty as you indicated. You had already covered that aspect of his request so the only thing left was to suggest other possible viable options. I really wish Kono would create a taller version of their HD2 petty.

What do you think of the Kanehiro Ginsan steel compared to the TKC/HD2 steel?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

STEVE <> I understand why all the recommendations came in... there are few semi-stainless options to suggest. The Gesshin Heiji, is another consideration, although on the bottom cusp of what I accept as usable height.

I find the Kanehiro G3 is on the stellar par of Tadatsuna G3 regarding a gamut of factors (i.e., edge potential, edge retention, stone feedback, durability at relatively high HRc). That said, my opinion of KaneG3 is based on the only Kane G3 I have, a 150 Petty, so the use in which it endures is nothing on par with a gyuto. HD:KaneG3, I gotta say I find HD to perform more durably at more acute angles which could be expected as it is heat treated to a softer Rockwool rating. Edge retention I have to give the nod to the HD2 over the KaneG3 over the HD, but that said, we're talking different Hrc steels so I don't know we're talking apples to apples in regards to steel for steel.

Everyone knows I believe the HD alloy was gifted to us by the G-ds, but the KaneG3 is a perfect, IMO, steel for a 150 petty. It has that clad-blade stiffness which I don't necessarily mind in this application, it has fantastic durability at angles more acute than OOTB, it has VERY impressive edge retention, it is at the lower range of my preferred height - yet, still in it, and furthermore, the Kane150G3 petty Wa is a perfect ratio of diameter to blade size, IMO... though I do find it quite short. At some point, mine will be rehandled, but as everyone also knows, I don't let handles bother me too much.

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2