It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Many questions about the edge pro
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark
Im down in Cape Town, not sure if you ave shipped here before…
Im very interested in getting an edge pro, I just have a few hundred questions to ask. I apologise for this, its just that the shipping and import duties and vat add up to 50% on to the cost so it becomes a little expensive, so I would like to try and get it as close to right as I can. I therefor would like your advice on a couple of issues.

Maybe you can just respond in colour to the following points

I think I want to get the chosera stones
I have had real trouble sharpening spyderco vg10 steel with a 120 grit on my lanky sharpener, it just doesn’t get through it . They suggest a 80 grit diamond to reprofile down to 30 degrees, to actually cut the steel. Is the chosera set you sell at $ 330 sufficient, or is there another stone you would recommend for this purpose?? I thought maybe the edge pro 120 grit??
I want to buy a strop, should I get one and a compound? I thought the bark tanned one. Its a pain being so price sensitive

I aslo have a few knives that have a “fat belly” like the m21 crkt and the zero tolerance 0300. Do I need to get recurve blades for these or would the normal blades suffice.
Ill also get an angle cube and a collar
Do you also sell those plastic guides listed on the edge pro site, I would like to make sure I don’t have any parts that wear out, because it aint so easy to replace them over here at a reasonable cost
And is there an alternative to the shipping to get costs down??
Oh yes, I have a spyderco edge pro, with the extra fine stones. That should suffice as the edge treatment rather than a ceramic hone, right?
I look forward to hearing from you

Regards
Anthony

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Many questions about the edge pro
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hi Anthony:

I live in Cape Town as well and might be able to assist you somewhat with your questions.

PM me if you are interested, then I will reply with my contact details for a possible meet.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Anthony,

I would love to have Rookie in the same town so I could go over to his house and drink rum and eat fish with him. hahaahha

Here are a few answers to your questions.

First, I prefer this set as a base set that features the shapton glass stones. The glass stones are thicker and will last longer. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproshglsts.html

Yes we have the little clips here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edprogucl.html

If you want to try a low cost strop get this one and ask in the comments section for me to load it with boron carbide and I'll do it for you for no extra charge: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/baedprost.html

I invite you to hang out with us here as you learn to sharpen with this machine and we'll help you. There are several guys on this forum that do an amazing job and are generous with their help and time.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:35 pm 

Hello Anthony,

Your going to want to add a diamond plate to your sharpening list, for setting bevels and flattening stones. I have only ever used the DMT 2x6 but hear the Atoma plates are really good. The first stone you use is the most important. It produces the sharpening angle, the rest just refine the grit pattern. I use green compound made by Enkay it's cheap and it works well for my needs. If you have recurve blades you may want to look at getting some narrower stones to add to your stone list as well. Yes.. for sure get the angle cube hands down the most important tool you can buy. Sit down with E.P and your angle cube with your stone or plate in place once you get them . Just measure the angles as you move your blade with out sharpening. Doing this will make your angles more consistent down the entire blade length. This will tell you where to hold your blade in relationship to the table and your stone. Oh ya, having Rookie down there is great help as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:54 pm 

thanks noneck
thanks mad rookie
looks like i also have to get a decent "stage" name

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Talk to me, I have most of it all.....

"Hoekie" sounds good.....Vrede"hoek"...........

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:37 am 
Forum Moderator

Anthony,

Mad Rookie in your town - you're in luck! A wealth of information. And a nice guy too. Rumor is he's a pretty good cook too :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:02 am 
Forum Moderator

Update.

Anthony came around on Saturday and we spent a couple of hours on the subject matter - no rum involved though.....

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]