It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: >> CLASSIFIEDS <<
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 pm 

Really the main issue I've seen come up on various forums is the fact that people with forums typically add a classified section just to help everyone out, which is very cool when not abused. Depending on how popular it gets thats when you start getting these "dealers" that just happened to run across an estate sale, blah blah and want to sell all kinds of shi....I'm not trying to be a downer here, there are tons of forums out there with excellent classified sections. But from what I gather it does put a little more work on the moderators and what not. It's very dependent on the size of forum as well, but yeah i'd say throw it up and see how it does.....I guess my point was you don't want shoddy knife dealers using the forum to sell knives constantly ....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I seriously doubt we'll have shoddy knife dealers on here... if a Mod is overseeing it there should be no trouble. I see nothing wrong with doing a classified section as long as we have some way of ensuring transactions go smoothly, hence I've offered to be the middle-man.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:40 am 

well like I said I was trying to come off as a downer, I really have a couple other forums I visit related to firearms and I love the classified section, I was just trying to point out some issues I have seen pop up on some other forums, but generally the mods keep things in check, I am all for it, was just trying to voice some issues I have seen.

Also another suggestion, would it be possible to get a forum for off topic type stuff, like for example these birds laid eggs in my garage and they hatched and I've got some pretty cool video I would like to show you guys, but I'm not sure if its appropriate for the general discussion area.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

BRIAN <> You're no downer; you are a voice of reason. I empathize with all you say having had frequented many forums for many years. I'd say you're spot on.

FANATIC <> I think you're idea is not a bad one, but if it was to be, it sounds like a "used section" on the CKTG site... not a forum classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

Melampus wrote:
FANATIC <> I think you're idea is not a bad one, but if it was to be, it sounds like a "used section" on the CKTG site... not a forum classifieds.

Well, technically no, because Mark does not sell anybody's used knives on the site, only his own. So I would be like a "used knife" salesman, only I'm not taking anyone's money, and I don't make any commission. I'm just a middle man for the average person looking to sell a knife and ensuring the integrity of the blade for the buyer.

If Mark sold everyone's used knives then a classified would be pointless. So, whadda ya say? The only thing I get out of this deal is that I get to see a lot of cool knives, and it's good to know that no one will ever get ripped off on the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Not saying a middle-man is necessary, but it is an option.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:49 pm 

BrianD wrote:.....But occasionally you will see a person every now and then that will post a bunch of bs posts to get to 50 and right when they hit 50 they go straight to the classifieds and end up abusing it in some way. The post count limit also helps moderators see if they are a true contributing member of the forum as well. The forum I am referring to is http://www.Brianenos.com ............

Ain't it the truth........there are those who shoot, and those who post........ :mrgreen:

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 am 
Site Admin

BrianD wrote:well like I said I was trying to come off as a downer, I really have a couple other forums I visit related to firearms and I love the classified section, I was just trying to point out some issues I have seen pop up on some other forums, but generally the mods keep things in check, I am all for it, was just trying to voice some issues I have seen.

Also another suggestion, would it be possible to get a forum for off topic type stuff, like for example these birds laid eggs in my garage and they hatched and I've got some pretty cool video I would like to show you guys, but I'm not sure if its appropriate for the general discussion area.

Hi Brian,

We have a video section and you're welcome to post it there. I actually recently posted a totally off topic video of a huge swarm of starlings that I thought was incredible. Some of the best topics on forums are off topic like my "What's your hidden talent" thread. I love that thread! :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:54 am 

I still believe people are inherently good by nature. Forums are called "communities" because people quickly become familiar. I have personally bought and sold dozens of knives as well as firearms and accessories via forums and have never experienced any problems. I think people need to use discretion. As a seller, you don't have much to lose, honestly. As a buyer you are taking a risk. I think people need to exercise an element of sense...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:59 am 

Also, speaking of that "community". I have seen guys sell things for a fraction of its value, just to spread the experience and love within the forum family....that's cool stuff.

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next