It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knife Fanatic...you said you wanted a bad knife?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:49 pm 

In one of the reviews of a particular knife you said you wished you could review a bad knife as in bad knife quality. Why don't you do a lengthy review of a Cutco knife. Try the Cutco chefs knife. I'm sure you'd get another million hits on the youtube channel :) Of course you might get a few threats from Cutco reps.

Also I'd really like to see what you could do to a Cutco on a sharpening stone. Heheh.

Post subject: Re: Knife Fanatic...you said you wanted a bad knife?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:31 pm 

+1

My mother has some cutco stuff, I tried to sharpen some of them up...most unrewarding thing to sharpen ever. Lots of work, little to show for it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:33 pm 

My ex swore by her cutco set. Of course she was scared of knives in general and only used a steak knife.... I tried the chefs knife a few times. It was ootb sharp (since she was afraid of it) and it was terrible. At the time I had an old Forgecraft that I kept fairly sharp that blew it away!

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:52 am 
Forum Moderator

Oh brother, I actually haven't been frequenting the forum much this week as I've been busy and trying to enjoy life as well.

Cutco..... well... what to say. I've actually repaired a friend's Cutco once. I'll say it like this. It's a Walmart knife made with very mediocre steel instead of crap steel. Hollow grinds are the fastest grind you can do, and to charge the prices they are charging for whole sets is unwarranted. It's just a mass-produced "whatever" blade to me, not to make that sound terrible or anything. The only marketing ploy I think they have (other than the shears that cut a penny) that holds any water is the fact that they have Lifetime replacement.

For most home cooks, they just want something new and sharp. Cutco pretty much provides that. Granted the grinds suck and the food penetration is nowhere near what we are used to with most of our Japanese knives, and have a pretty clunky overall feel, they will still get dinner cooked for most people.

Basically they are charging luxury prices for a non-luxury item. It's like charging Gold Label Prices for Red Label. Prime prices for Select quality. S-Class hype with C-Class performance.

When the Cutco salesman come a-knocking, just say NO! :mrgreen:

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:33 pm 

I remember when I bought my first set of knives long ago. Some Farberwares. I thought they were the greatest thing back then lol.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:52 pm 

How about I loan you my 3$ thrift store forgecraft knife...put an edge on it and do a review...The old Hickory Wood handle is waiting to be held again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:21 pm 

My wife and I had a friend whose son was selling Cutco knives... my $12 Farberware forged series santoku, $30 Forschners Fibrox 8" chef's knife, and crappy little Hinkels "santoku" paring knife (part of a $20 santoku and paring knife set, threw away the santoku, lol) out performed anything he showed me... lol To be honest, the blades were so thick and chisel like any of the pocket knives I had on me at the time would have done better. I also found it hilarious that one of the selling points he tried to use was that it is made of 440A stainless. I didn't have the heart to tell him that 440A is what is used on $5 pocket knives. Fortunately I was the only person he showed the knives to that knew something about knives, so he did make some sales... just not to me.

Even with the lifetime warranty the price isn't justified for Cutco knives. I think I have some $30 Kershaw folders that have lifetime warranties and free sharpening if you want to pay for postage... lol

All that being said, a review on one by someone such as yourself that has experience with Japanese knives would be very entertaining and pretty funny I think, even if it probably isn't the best thing for your sanity. lol

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]