It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My "go to" stones
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:54 pm 

I love trying different stone combinations but I always keep it to the minimum which is 4 for me. This is for the primary edge, now if I'm creating a relief face, thinning than I use a lot more but for sharpening the the primary cutting edge I try to keep it to 3 stones. (The 4th stone is for very dull knives and it is either the very useful Nubatama Bamboo 150 or the ultra useful Atoma 140 which is not really a stone of course but you get my drift)

My choice is going to surprise a lot of people, but I have used this combo on hundreds of knives and I have not been disappointed. I was introduced to this combo 3 years ago by a man that was hard not to agree with, in fact I would have believed anything related to sharpening that he told me that day.

Shapton Glass 500, Shapton Glass 2,000 and Shapton Glass 16,000. I know what you're thinking, "the idiot is missing a few stones there between the 2k and 16k". The person that first introduced me to this was a 67 year old Japanese gentleman that has been sharpening since he was 15 and through an interpreter he left me with no choice but to try it for myself.

I am on my third 500 glass stone now, before you knock it, give it a try if you have the stones.

I have on many occasions used the 500 and 2k Glass stones followed by a 5K Bamboo or 6K Arashiyama and have had awesome results as well. I guess I am just saying that I truly appreciate the shapton glass stones, they have pulled me out of some tight spots.

(The purpose of this post is not to knock any other stones, it's just to express my thoughts on these particular water stones and my preference for the unusual jump from 2k to 16k)

Peter

Post subject: Re: My "go to" stones
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:47 pm 

That IS unusual. Do you find you have to spend quite a bit of time on the 16k to get rid of the 2k scratch pattern? Are there knives you don't find this progression useful with?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:11 pm 

Hi,
I am not trying to remove the scratch pattern from the 2k Stone, I don't linger on the 16K either, just a few sweeps on either side.

Most of the knives I sharpen are German steel, so far I have not run into any problems.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

That's funny Peter. I've been using the 500, 2K and 6K glass stones lately and I've liked the results with only minor light strokes on the 6K and the a couple passes on some leather loaded with boron carbide. I find the edges have just the right combination of refinement and toothiness with this combo.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:48 am 
Forum Moderator

chefknivestogo wrote:That's funny Peter. I've been using the 500, 2K and 6K glass stones lately and I've liked the results with only minor light strokes on the 6K and the a couple passes on some leather loaded with boron carbide. I find the edges have just the right combination of refinement and toothiness with this combo.

Exactly that!

I am down to a 2 stone combo: 500# / 8k GS

Amazing functional edge - again just a couple of light sweeps on the 8k.

Takes like 10min max.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 am 

That's cool Rook, I don't have the 8k GS yet but I will soon and I'll try that and yes I can see it taking 10 min only.

I just had to re-tip a Bob Kramer by Zwilling knife, it's one of the nicest knives I've ever had in my hands, I used my combo on that and it turned out quite nicely and 10 minutes only after the tip work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 am 
Forum Moderator

Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age......
....one two, done.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:13 pm 

There is fine line between laziness and efficiency.
I remember a few years ago thinking that the more stones I used the sharper the knife would become. So I accumulated some very nice stones in bascially every grit from 500 up and I used to use all of those on one knife.

Now however I've come to realize that 3 stones and if the knife isn't too dull, 2 stones is getting the knife sharper than the average person has seen a knife. Now I do use those other stones often to create a nicely polished relief face but very rarely do I use all of them on the primary edge. Like Shaun demonstrates in a video, if it is too polished, it will slide over rather than penetrate the skin of a tomato.

Sometimes I have 15 knives to do in an evening, it is important for me to optimize my time yet maintain the quality of my sharpening. (I still have to watch Survivor or Blacklist remember). It has really come down to my having patience with that first stone which is often the 500 GS, if I am spending 15 minutes on a knife, the first 10-12 will be on that 500.

(ever wonder why there is no 7,000 grit stone by the way, or 9,000 yet there is 13,000 grit stone....just sayin?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:34 pm 

Haya Pete,

Funny you should bring up the refined 2K edge.

I've been a true believer in a refined 1K / 1.5K edge for quite some time now, but just last week, tried a refined 2K edge and was blown away with the results :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:20 pm 

As a home cook a refined 2k edge is what I use most of the time. Seems to work best for my needs.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next