It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tojiro DP or Wusthof Classic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Richmonds!

I love your site and your YouTube channel! Although you have provided some great resources, I find myself still in quite in conundrum.

I am interested in getting my first real chef knife, and have been considering two brands. Either the Wusthof Classic, or the Tojiro DP, both in the 8 (ish) inch range. The knife will take some abuse and be my go to knife (I hope) for all things chopping, dicing and slicing.

I am also open to other brands, but would ideally like to stay in the $100 +/- range. From watching your videos and reading reviews, I have been able to ascertain that the Tojiro has a harder sharper steel, while the Wusthof has exceptional steel with a better fit and finish. Any recommendations you might be able to give me would be really appreciated.

Thank You!!!

Chris

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Tojiro DP or Wusthof Classic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris,

The Tojiro is a better blade in my opinion.

If you are considering a Wusthof go for the Ikon which does not have the big finger guard and is sharpened at 15 degrees on each side. It's a way better knife than the Classic.

If you want to stay under $100 my Artifex is made with better steel than both of them (AEB-L) and is the best selling knife on the site in this size:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:32 am 

I have owned both...the Tojiro is better.

Another option, though I have never owned one is Messermeister: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/messermei ... idian.html

I have played with the Messermeister and liked it pretty well. It is sharpened at a ~15° angle and is sharper out of the box than the Wustofs I have played with. Though I cannot comment on edge retention or sharpening characteristics.

The Artifex is probably has the most up side of these, but it needs thinning behind the edge to really shine. Out of the box the Tojiro is probably the more satisfying buy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:27 am 

Richmond artifex is lighter in weight and you apritiate that after doing a lot of chopping at work

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:33 am 
Forum Moderator

cedarhouse wrote:The Artifex is probably has the most up side of these, but it needs thinning behind the edge to really shine. Out of the box the Tojiro is probably the more satisfying buy.

This couldn't have been put any better. We'll said.

Another good option is the Fujiwara stainless Gyuto's. They're a bit softer and more forgiving then either of the Artifex or DP.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:35 pm 

im living my messermeister although a green scrubby will leave marks on the blade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 pm 

Of those two, I'd go Tojiro, but why limit it to those two? Perhaps Fujiwara FKM or FKH?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:47 pm 

I'd go with the Richmond branded knife. It doesn't have a fancy handle but the steel is better. Also consider buying a few stones to keep the knife sharp.

Most bozos in the restaurant industry seem to insist on using belt sanding and lazy sharpening methods. Keeping the knife sharp requires a little work but once the edge you like is maintained a few stropping motions to the stone and it's good as new.

I'm not a fan of the Wustof. The Tojiro is a great buy for the money. The VG10 steel is really pretty nice when sharpened. I have the Shun classic 8 inch with VG10 and it keeps an edge very well. I lightly hone it on the steel and the edge straightens up real nice.

Just remember not to hack bones or hard things with the new knife. Good luck. Budget knives are fun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:28 pm 

If you know how and don't mind thinning behind the edge out of the box go with the Artifex. MUCH better steel than VG10.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:13 am 

If it were possible to extend your budget limit with some $20 you might get into the Hiromoto AS or G3 or the Kagayaki Carbonext.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next