It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help me choose between these 5 knives.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:04 am 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I have previously purchased a 210mm Fujiwara FKM guyuto and a CCK 103 cleaver from CKTG.

I am a home cook and my knives are used moderately, mostly for cutting vegetables and fruit as well as some slicing or cubing meat. Task performance is my first priority but fit and finish are also considerations when I purchase a knife (I may want to show off a new boy toy to an occasional dinner guest).

I now looking to purchase a moderately priced, 210mm wa-guyuto with a kurouchi finish and a tall blade (mild preference for the latter attribute). In the under $100 price range, two knives caught my interest: the Yamashin white #1 and the Zakuri blue #1. In the under $150 range, the Itto-Ryu hammered white #2 also has appears to have a nicer handle as well as better fit and finish which might justify the additional expense and the wait until it is back in stock.. Both the Yamashin and Itto-Ryu have enthusiastic video and customer reviews. the Zakuri has no reviews, probably because it is a relatively new addition to your store.

Two knives with shorter height also look interesting: the Murata Buho blue #1 and the more expensive Masakage Mizu aogami #2 .

Do you have any thoughts that could help me choose among these 5 knives?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Help me choose between these 5 knives.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

The Itto Ryu Hammered is the best of the bunch. The Murata, Zakuri and Masakage are all pretty similar with not much between them in quality. I think the Yamashin would be my least favorite of the group but it's also one of the least expensive.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

Another to consider in that price range is the Goko:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto210mm.html

It has a very nice blade, and has a more refined KU finish. The handle....I just wish they came with better handles. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Re the goko handle, I could have isaiah make some lower priced semi custom wa handles for these. We're doing a bunch of new ones with wenge and figured maple that would be nice with these. It would add about $25 to the price.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:30 pm 

The handle is definitely the weak point of that knife.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:46 pm 

The chestnut handle on the Goko actually feels good in your hand.Chestnut has a nice grain in the wood ,it is a little larger than other handles in diameter which I find to be a plus. I am a lefty so I sanded the D ridge off the handle to make it a comfortable oval. The plastic D ferrule can stand some improvement. Tim Johnson did a inexpensive modification to mine. He replaced the plastic with a nice piece of contrasting grain rosewood. Check out the finished handle on Tim's web page under Topics "Some stuff done" page 2. Tim does excellent work . The fit and finish on his handle is better than any factory handle. The Goko is a very good performing blade!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]