It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pro needs lightweight workhorse 210mm gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guys

I am a professional chef that works in a high volume and fast restaurant where we do around 200 covers for lunch 300 covers for dinner and 600 covers for brunch on saturday and sunday. I am looking for a lightweight workhorse that can keep up with the high volume of prep that I do which varies from hard root veg to softer products such as scallops. I am currently looking at these blades: Konosuke HD2 210mm Wa-Gyuto, Richmond Laser 210mm Gyuto, Kikuichi Performance TKC Gyuto 210mm on your site. I am also looking at the Kikuichi Warikomi gold 8in gyuto and wonder how it compares to the one you have on your site? If you have any suggestions and information, I would be greatly appreciative.

Regards,

Ross

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Pro needs lightweight workhorse 210mm gyuto
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

The only real workhorse you listed is the Tkc and it's not even really a true workhorse. It's quite thin really.

So, of the ones you listed, the TKC would be me recommendation.

It's got a thin blade, but still has the heft of a full tang, western handle.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ross,

I'm wondering why you are looking at 210s for lots of prep work? A 240 might be better suited to your work. Are you going to use this as a line knife as well? That might explain it....

You are looking at both western and wa handled knives. Do you have a preference?
Also, do you know how to sharpen?
Also, you are looking at semi stainless and fully stainless blades. Do you have a preference? Do you want us to consider carbon or stainless clad with carbon steel knives when we give you a suggestion?
I'm guessing your price range is in the 150-250 range?

Let me know the answers and we'll try and give you a recommendation that fits your needs as closely as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:29 pm 

Hi guys this is the author of the email that mark posted on my behalf. I will start by answering the above questions...

I am looking at a 210 because I am currently using a 8in shun and have tried a 240mm at work but our boards and space are a bit restrictive for anything larger. Also it will be used on the line during some services.

I prefer the wa handle but it's not a deal breaker as I am comfortable with both.

I can sharpen and have a range of stones from 400 to 8000 grit. My ability as a sharpener is average but I am good enough to maintain my kanehiro AS 240mm wa gyuto that I fixed after tips from this forum. Thanks!

In terms of the blade, I want something light, easy to maintain and look after. That said though, I work cleanly and look after my knives instinctively. In a perfect world the blade would be robust, sharp like a high carbon and stainless clad.

Price up to 270 max

I hope the answers to these questions help...?

If it's any help, I am very fond of the konosuke hd2 and almost purchased it after a bit of research today...

Thanks in advance

Rossco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rossco - Just an FYI, the Kono HD2 210 Gyuto is a little undersized length-wise and it's also a short Gyuto at just over 42mm. It's EXTREMELY light as well.

You should give a look as well to the Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus Gyuto 210 as well. It's thin and pretty light, but will be more of a workhorse with easy to sharpen AEB-L at a versatile HRC of 60. It's a really, really nice knife and it's all stainless.

------------------------
Boss Hogg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rossco,

This Kamo jumped into my brain as I read your requirements. It's high quality, wear resistant stainless, thin, durable, wa handled and in your price range. And it's a looker! http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kar2gy21.html

My other choice is the HD that you already identified. I love Konosukes and it will perform well for you with easy maintenance and it's nice and thin.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:09 pm 

I think you might be a little happier with the TKC just because it is a little heftier than the HD2, and I do mean a little! They are both semi-stainless and great cutters but the HD2 is a true laser and just might not have enough ass to make you happy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 pm 

I say go completely stainless and keep the hardness level at 60, I know when you are on the line and busy you don't want to worry about keeping your knife dry. Semi stainless is still semi stainless not stainless and and 60 Rockwell to try and stay away from the chipping, still a chance, but less of a chance because you never know especially when you are busy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I'm still going to say the TKC. I think, other than the wa handle you wanted, it would be ideal.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:16 pm 

Rossco wrote:...I am also looking at the Kikuichi Warikomi gold 8in gyuto and wonder how it compares to the one you have on your site?...

The Kikuichi Warikami Gold has a VG10 core which is not known for it's edge retention. The Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus has an AEB-l core, a much better steel. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwadagy21.html

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next