It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:47 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Any chance of getting the 240mm Artifex in 52100?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:24 pm 

I love my 240mm Artifex. IMO it's perfect in three ways:

- Perfect profile, narrow and nimble with a thin pointy tip, long flat section for push cutting without sacrificing enough belly to chop comfortably. It doesn't leave uncut pieces stuck together (too much belly), or come to a dead halt if you're not carefully push cutting parallel to the board (too flat). Ideal length too.

- Perfect handle, even though this type is thought of as a 'budget' handle, IMO it's perfectly balanced. Full bosters add too much weight and make the balance too neutral for my taste. I prefer a slightly blade heavy knife that will do some of the work, but not so blade heavy that I'm fighting against it, like a wa-handle. Also, I just don't like how wa-handles feel, like they're not a part of the knife and need to be treated more delicately. There's just something good about holding a knife with a full tang.

- Perfect thickness, I don't like flexible anorexic knives with no weight behind the blade (had a Konosuke, hated it). Terrific distal taper. Admittedly too thick behind the edge OOTB, but that's actually a positive. It gives you enough steel to put a decent convex behind the edge, reducing stiction and giving you performance that would cost 5x to get OOTB from a custom maker. I can't fix a bad heat treat, change a knife's profile, or rehandle it on my own. I can however convex the blade road, and given the choice, I prefer to put in the work myself than to pay the price.

There's only one problem with it - it's not carbon :( Just wondering what the chances are that we'll get a 52100 version of the 240mm Artifex?

Post subject: Re: Any chance of getting the 240mm Artifex in 52100?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 pm 

Yeah, that 52100 steel sounds like it is very nice.

Post subject: Re: Any chance of getting the 240mm Artifex in 52100?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:10 pm 

There's a 210mm.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21ca52.html

And a 250mm Sab profile

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/risab25chkn.html

Surely one of those is worth a go.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]