It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:07 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a knife sharpening kit.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

greetings,
I'm interested in putting together a knife sharpening "kit".

I was thinking about the Shapton Pro Series 1000 and a DMT diamond plate. Is it necessary to purchase either a 4k, 5k, or 6k stone to achieve a durable cutting edge?

Alternatively, for something a bit more economical, I was looking at your King line. Other than a presoak, are there any special care issues with these stones?

Thanks,

JD

ps.
Great website! Enjoyed the tutorials.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a knife sharpening kit.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi JD,

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the tutorials. We want the site to have a strong educational aspect to it since most guys are new to sharpening and many of the knives are made by unknown makers.

Ok, you can certainly use just a 1k stone for sharpening. There is nothing wrong with doing that especially when you are just learning. A 1-2k stone would be the appropriate range and if you wanted to do this I would suggest the 1.5k shapton pro stone for a single stone solution.

Or even better for about the same price you could get this 2 sided imanishi stone. It will give you 2 stones for the price of 1 and I think it will improve your results a little for no extra cost: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/imtwosi1kst.html

I would prefer the 2 sided stone over the king. You can get good results with the king stones but I think the Shaptons and Imanishi stones above would be my preference.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]