It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Dipped my toe in today
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:09 pm 

Jack - I was doing something similar. Now mine is a creme rather than a soap, think a bit softer but same concepts apply (I think). After watching a few videos what I saw was after the people swirled it for 30 seconds or so on the soap to coat the brush, rather than move directly to the face they were lathering up their hand for a couple minutes. It was a bit interesting until I saw the foam start forming all of a sudden. Kind of like making a vinaigrette, slowly slowly, then all of a sudden it emulsify's and changes. Once it started they had a handful of what looked like the creme you get out of a pressurized can. It was a light bulb moment for me. I built up my cream "bloom" in a wide mouthed coffee cup and sure enough after a few minutes and adding a couple drops of water once or twice during the process mine bloomed as well. I'd suggest hitting up Youtube, maybe even search specifically for your brand or more generalized search to get an idea.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:30 pm 

snipes wrote:Jack - I was doing something similar. Now mine is a creme rather than a soap, think a bit softer but same concepts apply (I think). After watching a few videos what I saw was after the people swirled it for 30 seconds or so on the soap to coat the brush, rather than move directly to the face they were lathering up their hand for a couple minutes. It was a bit interesting until I saw the foam start forming all of a sudden. Kind of like making a vinaigrette, slowly slowly, then all of a sudden it emulsify's and changes. Once it started they had a handful of what looked like the creme you get out of a pressurized can. It was a light bulb moment for me. I built up my cream "bloom" in a wide mouthed coffee cup and sure enough after a few minutes and adding a couple drops of water once or twice during the process mine bloomed as well. I'd suggest hitting up Youtube, maybe even search specifically for your brand or more generalized search to get an idea.

I'll give that a try. I'll check out youtube but I will probably try it based on your description first. I have used Mitchell's Wool Fat for all my shaves and Razor Rock once. I didn't like the feel of the Razor Rock as much but right now my face feels different after about every shave even with the Wool Fat so I can't credit or blame any one thing for how a shave goes. My skill is so unpradictable no other factor makes much difference I don't think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:59 am 

You mentioned temperature. I bought a handmade scuttle on Etsy for not too much at all https://www.etsy.com/listing/157559232/shaving-scuttle-double-chamber-heated?ref=sr_gallery_42&ga_search_query=shaving+scuttle&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=shaving+scuttle I love this thing!! I use cream primarily and I form may lather in the scuttle filled with super hot water. It makes every application a great feeling warm silky lather. There's plenty of youtube videos on scuttles. I can't imagine shaving without mine!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:46 pm 

That's pretty cool sharkbite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:18 pm 

Made my shave creme with a bit too much H2O yesterday morning and while it "foamed up", it fell apart on my face and my face paid for it. I'm able to shave my entire face now other than the upper lip area (still haven't figured that one out yet). I may try some canned shave gel next go round just to see how the consistency of the shave creme impacts the shave.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:12 pm 

snipes wrote:Made my shave creme with a bit too much H2O yesterday morning and while it "foamed up", it fell apart on my face and my face paid for it. I'm able to shave my entire face now other than the upper lip area (still haven't figured that one out yet). I may try some canned shave gel next go round just to see how the consistency of the shave creme impacts the shave.

I'd like your opinion of the shave gel. My first two or three shaves were with Shaving cream (not gel). Being my first times I can't know what impact the cream had compared to using a soap designed for straight shaving. I do remember everyone stressing how much better the soaps work than canned products. They even have a nickname for it but I don't remember it. Still, I bet the gel should work in a pinch. Let us know how it goes.

Jack

Page 3 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3