It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: What kind of natural stone did I get?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:38 am 

My boss has a stone that was given to him by a very well known American/Japanese chef. The color has a reddish hue to it. I guess you could say it's a brick red color. The stone also has a bit of black color in it. I wasn't sure if it was a real stone or not. I believe it is. There is a geological pattern. I did not notice the pattern until I began soaking it.

I road my bike to the market for a beer :) I came back and the stone was still whistling...She's taking in water like the titanic...rather than be hasty I'm going to let the stone soak until I wake up the next morning.

So does Japan have reddish brick like geological formations? It is imperfect in shape but it really looks like a brick. There are noticeable waves when running the finger across the side of the stone. The top is a bit uneven from use.

I'll be testing on my Shun classic. I know these are not the best knives, or even real representation of Japanese quality but the VG10 has been pretty good to me. The German style thickness is killing me.

I can't wait to splurge for a stainless clad carbon blade...Oooh you bet I'm eager. I can't wait. It's gonna be awesome. In fact I look forward to the day I drop the knife and have to re tip the edge :) I'd rather have a good finicky knife than a mediocre steel.

Post subject: Re: What kind of natural stone did I get?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Show us a picture and we'll take a look and see if we can guess.

Richmond Laser

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]