It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:10 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Konosuke Blue #2 Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hello I'm interested in purchasing the

Konosuke Fujiyama Blue#2 240mm but see that it has been out of stock for a while. Will there be any new shipments soon? Thanks!

Jonathan

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Konosuke Blue #2 Gyuto
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jonathan,

Did you sign up to be notified when they are back in stock?

I'm never sure when they will show up but I have a dozen on order and I would guess I'll have more in the next month. I'm just not sure when exactly.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kofubl2.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Good to know. Do you know the Rockwell hardness of this particular knife? I've done quite a bit of browsing and found that this particular knife seems to be one of the best. Do you agree, or do you recommend something else? I'm looking for a 240mm blue steel gyuto.
Thanks.

Jonathan

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Yes they're usually heat treated to about 62 HRC but their heat treatment is done by eye and experience so they can vary from knife to knife. Some of these small blacksmiths in Sakai will usually heat treat by the color of the steel as they heat the knives in their forge.

It's always hard to make sweeping claims as to what's best since there are so many little variables that go into a knife and people's tastes for shape, steel are all different. I like these knives a lot but there are plenty of others I like on the site in this price range including some made by the same blacksmith like the Kono fujiyama white #2s: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke9.html

There's no difference in this knife compared to the one you asked about except the core steel is white #2 instead of blue #2. White #2 is more popular in Japan since it's a little easier to sharpen but still holds a nice edge. I like to sharpen so I would choose this knife over the blue #2 personally.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'll second the white version.....I prefer it over blue. However, edge retention is not of any importance to me (well, it is....but not between these two steels) so the advantage of white over blue is irrelevant and I prefer to sharpen white. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:28 am 

+1

White #2

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke9.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 pm 

The reason I'm leaning towards blue is because although I enjoy sharpening immensely, doing it often means that more metal is removed over time and therefore the life is the knife is shortened compared to a blue steel knife IMO. Also as I am quite new to sharpening, this means that there are more chances of me messing up the knife. Given this, do you all still recommend white #2. Also how is white #1? Sorry it took so long to respond. Any input is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:56 am 

Your not going to have to sharpen the white steel so much more that your going to wear it out years sooner. If you are new to these two steels you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in sharpness. I'm another one of those white #2 steel guys just because it is a little easier to sharpen. Regardless of your choice you will be impressed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:14 pm 

I have the blue version and it's great. I'm sure the white one is as well. I'll just throw it out there that you asked about the blue even though the white was immediately available. Only you know what that means in your heart of hearts. If you really want the blue for whatever reason, consider holding out. It's an expensive acquisition and I can't think of much worse than looking at your brand new shiny cool white #2 and always wondering what your first choice would be like. Would you or I notice a difference between the two from normal usage? I'm sure I wouldn't, but I just have a thing for blue steel over white even if it's more emotional than functional.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:30 pm 

Why is the blue #2 version more expensive than the white #2. Is blue #2 a more expensive steel cost wise or is the forging process more time consuming with the blue#2 vs White#2 to cause the price difference. Other than the steel the specs on the two versions seem to be almost identical.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next