It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Goko Gyuto 240 Review
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a good one. I love it when people get that wow feeling when they first use a good knife.

Product Id:
Goko Gyuto240mm
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto240mm.html
Rating:
Name:
doc vml
Location (City, State):
orlando, fl
Review:
If there are knives better than this one I really cannot imagine what they have as this one is a ringer especially for the price. This is my first venture into carbon knives and a significant upgrade from my tojiro dp knives. My first experience with this beast was on an onion. The grind, which is flawless, along with the very nice finish ensures no food sticks to the knife while speeding through produce. Next up, butternut squash. Goko sliced through the tough rind so easily and the rest was a breeze. Finally, a tomato. This was truly a religious experience. Holy crap!

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Goko Review
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:02 am 

I can relate to the "Wow" experience when you first open the box and start using the Goko 240. It has a scary sharp hand polished edge that needs no touching up. The tall blade handles everything from small heads of garlic to sweet potatoes and winter squash with no effort. Laser cuts thru tomatoes. I use an end grain cherrywood cutting board and it holds its edge for a long time and sharpens back guickly to a razor edge with 6 to 10 light passes on a 6k stone and strop. One of the best values on the website! "Beast with a laser edge " !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:00 pm 

I am new here and have been thinking about the Goko for awhile now. It seems like it is a very high price performance ratio knife. Some have commented the handles are fatter than some other handles on the market.

Did you find the handle to be wider? I personally would like a wider handle. Now i'm on the fence about a 210 or the 240. Things like parsley have been a bigger chore with with an 8 inch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:46 pm 

I don't think it is bigger than must others but it's a D shaped compared to octagonal which might be what some like more about it. In my opinion the handle is the week point of the knife. The f&f isn't the greatest and the plastic ferrule is crap. I love the finish of the blade and it's a great cutter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:26 am 
Forum Moderator

Actually I believe the handles are oval and not D-shaped. Plus they are slightly bigger then the average 240, but not by too much, so it might be exactly what you are looking for. For the most part, Chestnut handles tend to come in slightly bigger sizes, but not always.

Are you using this knife commercially or at home? If commercial, I'd recommend against White #1 as your steel choice, but if you are okay with honing your knife more often then I'd say a 210 is going to be easier on your wrist while a 240 is going to be a lot more versatile for commercial prep. If this is for home then I wouldn't worry about how well a 210 or 240 chops parsley, that would be more determined by the size of your cutting board or prep area.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:19 am 

I hate to shoot you down Shaun :mrgreen: but they're D handles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:18 am 
Forum Moderator

Haha, I stand corrected, D-handle it is, just checked. Although, it's not a very pronounced D, Very close to oval in the hand. A little sandpaper could fix that though. :mrgreen:

Score: Jeff - 1 Shaun - 1

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:32 pm 

It is a D handle and it is a little rustic OTB but I am a lefty and you can quickly sand the ridge and it becomes a nice oval. It is not that much larger in diameter than most other WAs . I have a Masamoto KS with a D handle and the Goko is just a bit thicker. I have medium size hands and find the handle very comfortable. If the plastic stock ferrule is a issue check out Tim Johnson's site on the forum, Recent post"some work done" page 2. He did a quick modification on mine by replacing the ferrule with a nice contrasting redwood ferrule . The fit and finish of the handle is now perfect to compliment the great blade.

Post subject: Re: Goko Gyuto 240 Review
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:52 am 

Just received this as a birthday gift and WOW! It is the sharpest ootb edge I have gotten. Hair shaving sharp, feels very comfortable , blade heavy balance point right in front of my pinch grip. So far all I have cut with it is newsprint, receipt paper, and arm hair but I can't wait to get to work on Tuesday and prep lots of veggies and we will post my own review of it. White #1 is sharp

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]