It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: >> Japanese Cycles <<
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 am 
Forum Moderator

Knife Fanatic wrote: " 1) Do you have to wear skid plates for that?
2)Happy you're still around to help us out.
3)Sounds like you ended up with the better side of a brain injury"

1. I've never used plates; I don't like the loss of feedback from the pegs when I'm actually on them. Depending on the day, track boots or usually high-top sneakers are the ticket, and both slide just fine. For shits & giggles at night, I have put thumbtacks into the bottom of the sole... they spark nicely on asphalt. 8-)
2. Thank you. I enjoy helping.
3. The brain hemorrhage left me pretty insane for awhile. The stories are truly amazing & hilarious & scary. It's such a long story to even engage. I will quickly say the first time I truly recognized how severe it was, I had gone into the neurologist for a follow up & when the team that worked on me saw me... and I saw the utter shock & awe on their faces.. it left an indelible mark upon me. I was supposed to be a vegetable... not a functioning man with facilities that drew upon the complex neural network of language and mathematics. I've said it here before... I am an anomaly.

MadRookie wrote:"...did you get a glimpse of heaven.....are there knives there.....????"

I would expect nothing else from you! :lol: I'm often asked about the light. I didn't see a light at the end of a tunnel. I just remember a blinding whiteout.

As for your badass Fireblades, look at Rook w/the tricked out rear-sets, fender eliminator, polished rim lips, aluminum master cylinder caps w/matching levers, stainless rear brake lines, etc... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:16 am 
Forum Moderator

This was my son's bike prior to the Honda Blade - he was 15 at the time.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:22 am 
Forum Moderator

Damn Europeans always get the cool stuff... :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:11 pm 

Such a cool story Mel thanks for sharing it and the pics. I've always been fascinated by those bikes and I will always want one. The fastest bike I ever drove was a Yamaha V-Max.
I still love the video of Fast Freddie Spencer, I don't know if you have ever seen it but if you did you'd love it. He was a GP rider/world champion and the purpose of the video is to demonstrate the speed of GP sport bike relative to a normal motorcycle (one you can buy in the store) and a car. So on Laguana Seca raceway you have Fast Freddie on a 500cc I think it was, and he is all decked out in race gear, he is a world champion. Also, on a street bike, a 750 Honda Nighthawk perhaps is the world 250cc champion and in Nissan 280Z is car racing champion and the guy who actually designed the racetrack. The course is 2.5 miles long I believe and the car starts off first. Meanwile Freddie doesn't even have his helmet or gloves on. 15 seconds later the guy on the streetbike departs and then Freddie gets ready. 30 seconds after the car left he departs the start line. He beats them both to the finish line, it was a pretty cool video and really a good demonstration on just how fast those bikes are. He wasn't just going against the average joe, they were all racing champions and it was really cool when he blew past the car that was flying around the track.
This video is now about 30 years old so it may not be around.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

PETE <> I'm very familiar with who Freddie Spencer is; you're talking about my childhood idols now! I have not seen the video, but it's no surprise. There is nothing on the planet that can traverse a road course more quickly than a 500cc two-stroke GP bike. A Nighthawk and a 280Z, I'm surprised they didn't blindfold Freddie! :lol:

Anyhow, that V-Max is still, to date, a legend of its time, and even as a cruiser could take all but the liter bikes & the Gixxer 7.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:02 am 

Me: "I want to get a motorcycle."

Ex-wife: "No."

Me: "You know that 98% of motorcycle accidents are the car's fault, don't you?"

Ex: "Well, that doesn't make you any less dead now, does it?"

...Long pause...

Me: "I just lost this argument, didn't I?"

Ex: "Yep."

I had a roommate for a while who hooked up a nitrous system on his bike. He would cruise the interstate late at night, find someone who thought they had a great sports car, cruise next to them at 140, look over and smile while he hit the nitrous and just disappear.

My stint on a ventilator was after GI surgery, when my lungs filled up with fluid the consistency of Karo syrup and tried their best to kill me. Before I was intubated, my blood oxygen level was compatible with death, and I was awake and talking. Not coherently, but talking. Nobody knew the odds of survival, because nobody had ever seen somebody survive such a thing, or even heard about it. Knives were involved, just the little, very sharp and thin ones.

Ten years later, the left side of my colon just died. More little knives came out...

The University of Maryland Shock-Trauma Unit has a saying: "Buy your son a murdercycle for his last birthday." They also say that motorcycles keep transplant programs going.

In other news, one of my patient's granddaughter was shot to death last night along with four other people in Terrell, Texas. Her 3-year-old ID'd the guy for the police.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:37 am 

Here's your video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bKy99TIMa8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:32 am 
Forum Moderator

:lol: Good find Mike...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:51 am 

I prefer Japanese bicycles. The Bridgestone RB1 or the X0 Zero...great bikes, no insurance costs and pretty low maintenance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

My first car was the car in that video, exact same car down to the rims, only mine was black with a yellow racing stripe down the middle. Funny thing about those: The 84 Anniversary edition was the one with the hoodscoop. There were carry over parts and a handful of the 85's got a hoodscoop, this was one of them. You can tell because of the rims, each year had different rims. I believe there were under 2,000 produced like this. Anyhow, oh wonderful memories, that car was a lot of fun in high school. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2