It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: New to Forum - Thoughts on Petty vs Honesuki
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:23 pm 

Hello. I've been reading this forum for a while and I have good experience dealing with CKTG, so I joined the forum to get a little advice.

First, a little information.

I'm a home cook with above average home cook knife skills (at least I believe I am ;) ). Several years ago I gave my decades old Wusthof's to my step-son so I could try some different knives. So here I am, and I'm ready to try another knife.

Here's a list of some I currently own, and my personal thoughts on them:

Kikuichi Performance TKC 240mm Gyuto - This is my go-to knife and I really like it.

Bob Kramer 7" Carbon Steel Santoku Knife by Zwilling J.A. Henckels - I bought this a couple of months after taking a class with Bob Kramer. The 52100 carbon takes a nice edge, but it is a heavy and wide knife (3mm). I would prefer something lighter.

MAC Superior Bread Knife - I like this.

MAC Honesuki - The handle on mine is blocky and uncomfortable, and I found out that I don't care for a single bevel.

Shun Classic Gokujo - Good for removing chicken wings and leg quarters, but I find it clumsy to separate the breast meat from the bone. Great for silverskin.

Shun Classic Paring Knife 3 1/2" - Love it. It has a very comfortable handle and sharpens up nicely.

1. Are you right handed? Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Petty
3. What size knife are you looking for? 150mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? carbon/clad
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Japanese
6. How much did you want to spend? $250 approx.
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

I would like to have a petty and I'm interested in the Takeda Classic Banno 140mm, or the Takeda Stainless Petit 140mm, but I'm open to suggestions.

So, I finally get to my questions.

Does anyone use a petty to breakdown chickens including deboning (not cutting bones)? Conversely, does anyone use a honesuki as a petty? I'm not trilled with my MAC Honesuki, so I would prefer to use a petty if reasonable for chickens, or perhaps a Takeda Honesuki if reasonable for some prep work. I'm looking for a single knife solution for the 150mm range of knife.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Takeda Classic or the Stainless clad petty?

... and lastly,

Mark, when do you expect to have stock on the Takeda Stainless clad petty?

Thanks,

luvnwine, but I'm having beer.

Post subject: Re: New to Forum - Thoughts on Petty vs Honesuki
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes....I regularly debone chickens (or chicken parts) with a petty

Yes....I use a honesuki as a petty some times, but it's not really ideal. Works, though, and limits what I have to wash.

The Takeda would make a good knife....although I don't know if I'd pick that one if one of the main tasks was deboning chickens. Takeda's are typically very thin at, and behind, the edge. Now, it's been some time since I've seen one of his petty's.....so take that info with a grain of salt.

I might have to pick something like the Goko petty:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokopetty150mm.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

LUVNWINE <> Curious you find the Gokujo clumsy on birds...

Yes, I can break down a chicken with a petty. Do I? Absolutely not.

Nor do I use my Honesukis as a petty. I do not like the geometry at all, in that capacity.

Since you keep talking AS (Takeda), I would suggest investigating these:

My thoughts on Takedas: I've spent time with only one Takeda, a Gyuto, and it left me underwhelmed. I wasn't really fond of it. If you forced me to choose a Takeda in your application, it would be the Funayuki "for chickens & some prep work."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:49 pm 

Thanks for the input.

Since I already have the Honesuki and the Gokujo I think I'll buy a petty and abandon the thought of a single knife solution for 2 different jobs.

I have previously looked at the Richmond Aogami Super Laser Petty, and I did not discount that as a consideration. It looks nice and at a good price point. The Kanehiro Wa-Petty also looks very nice. I'm partly basing my decision on spine thickness and height (although I don't know this on some of the knives mentioned). I don't know if that makes any since, but that's why I'm here.

I also wanted the Aogami Super steel which all of these have.

FWIW, I keep gravitating to the Takeda because I was lusting for the 240 Gyuto when I purchased the Kikuichi instead, based on a recommendation from Mark. I am extremely happy with this knife. However, I still have a Jones for a Takeda.

If there are any thoughts on performance or negatives of one over the other (petty) please speak up.

Regards,

luvnwine, but I'm drinking coffee.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

LUVNWINE <> I don't recall if you said something or I had the intuition, but I gleaned you were interested in AS... thus my recommendations.

I'll continue out-of-order. Lusting after a Takeda is expected; they have a mystique surrounding them, and they are a top-seller. I will admit, they do have a magical feeling in hand. It sincerely bothers me that I have only used one because it left me totally underwhelmed... totally. Beyond that, I can't resonate w/Shosui's "production" stuff due to geometry. His Gyutos are so tall they mimic Nakiris with pointed tips tacked on, and the Sasanohas are too short, for me. It's like a 2cm range... that's crazy, to me. I agree his AS is awesome.

Regarding, another comment you made questioning if you made sense. In a petty, spine thickness is not nearly as important as height... to me. #1: Spine thickness can be very deceiving as point of measure does not apply to the entire blade - taper nor grind. #2: I prefer some height (32-36mm in a 150) to allow the knife to act as a small gyuto when I need it to. I regularly employ push cuts & walk with my 150 petty. You can't do that well with a "steak knife". For example, I LOVE Konosuke, but I find their 150 petty basically useless... too niche.

If you're talking pros & cons of the three I mentioned, pretty simple.

I think the Masakage is too hard. I think the Kanehiro is awesome (classic, rustic, high performance). I think the Richmond is probably the best value. I do have very thorough understandings of both, but in transparency, I have not used the Masakage nor Laser.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:36 pm 

Melampus you are correct that I am interested in AS. Point taken regarding blade taper and grind, and blade height.

I would prefer the knife to act as a small gyuto as you mentioned.

Of the knives mentioned:
- Kanehiro; I assume the height is in the 32-36mm range as it isn't listed on the website. Is this correct?
- Richmond; Good review and known spec's.
- Takeda; Height is not listed on the website. Do you know the height?

Luvnwine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

LUVNWINE <> First order of business is to understand these knives are handmade & can vary in exact dimensions. You can always ask CKTG in the order comment box to cherry pick the tallest.

The 150 petty I own by Kanehiro is, in fact, the G3. IIRC it measures in @32.5mm, and I am local to the kitchen I have it in so I can run over later if you want. I reckon the AS is close although it looks a bit shy. I can assure you w/o question or doubt neither of them are over 34mm, and I'm 90% positive neither of them are over 32.5mm.

Assuming you are referring to the 140 banno petit Takeda, I do not have the dimensions, but if I had to guess from the one pictured, I'd say 29-30mm.

ASLaser is obviously 34mm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:13 pm 

Melampus, I still haven't made up my mind. I think I'll start a new thread to get a little different perspectives.

Right now, I think I'll go off the assumption that the Takeda Petit 140mm is the same height as the Takeda Stainless Petit which is 37.5 mm nom.

I appreciate your offer to run the knife over for me, however I live in Houston.

Thanks and regards

luvnwine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

LUVNWINE <> Regarding the stainless-clad Petit & the iron-clad Banno Petit: I would not consider one's dimensions to be simliar to the others. Like I said, I don't have them to measure, but if you look at the pictures, you will see the stainless-clad is a MUCH taller looking knife. Much more Shosui's style as he is renowned for making tall knives. When studying both pictures the Banno looks like his Sasanoha while the Petit looks like his Gyuto. Just my observation...

Regarding "running the knife over": If you were around I would be more than glad to, but I was saying I can run over to the kitchen I have the knife in to measure it for you if you'd like. Though as it is not the AS that may be pointless to you...

Regarding a new thread: By all means! Compare specific knives in it as I was surprised no one jumped in here to add perspective.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]