It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:14 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: 210 Gyutos with less stick
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:00 pm 

Adam - can you please explain your "custom handle" suggestion? Is that a CKTG service I can have done before you ship an AS Laser or something I do independently (or do myself)? If CKTG, any suggestions? I guess I think of cutting down a big fat dense sweet potato (we do a lot veggie roasting at home) and how much effort would be needed with the 5.4 oz knife (albeit a sharp one).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Steve - CKTG has a number of custom handle makers/installers that do a phenomenal job. They are listed under the Knife and Handle Makers sub-forums. My recommendation is to get the knife as is and get some hands-on time with it before considering a custom handle. The AS Laser comes with a nice handle OOTB. See if you like the balance point, weight, etc. with the factory handle.

Getting a custom handle installed would allow your to fine tune the handle size, length, and weight (depending on materials used) to affect the balance point and handling ergonomics of the knife. IMO you won't know what you might want to change about the handling/balance point/handle until you've used the knife for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Cutting a potato with (granted I've never actually used an AS Laser, but I can well picture what it'll be like) an AS Laser would be easier than with a Henckels. The knife is so much thinner that it doesn't wedge/break the potato, it cuts it nicely. The weight/heft of a fat German knife isn't needed and I don't like it.

Here's a quick video:

As per the custom handle....+1 to what Steve said. BTW, since I was the one that mentioned it, I would prefer I not be contacted to do it if you go that route.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Love the AS Laser!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:14 pm 

As the above video shows, to a large extent, stiction is a function of technique rather than knife geometry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Speed helps! Even when I cut slow, I can see the food being pushed away from the knife, more so than with my Tanaka. I will see if I can get a video of that when I cook dinner tonight. That was a warm, wet peeled potato and only a few slices stuck to it, but they wiped right off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

Video didn't work out too well; way too tired. I almost put maple syrup into my fry pan instead of oil tonight...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:08 pm 

Thanks to all. Bought the glass stone starter set for sharpening, the fine ceramic rod and the 210 Richmond Aogami Super. Looking forward to receiving these later this week. First non-western handled knife and first clad knife! Should be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:19 pm 

You bought a fine set of toys, should really have some fun!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:21 am 
Forum Moderator

From one Steve to another - that's awesome man! Great choices, all.

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next