It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:32 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Have Takeda knives changed?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

ChefKnivesToGo Team,

I recently had the chance to try out a Takeda 240mm AS gyuto. I must say I was smitten by the amazing cutting performance of Mr. Takeda's interesting grind and of course the AS steel. I've read on quite a few forums that his most recent work isn't quite up to par as his older knives. For example, I have read that his profiles tend to have much more belly than just a year ago and his grinds have become considerably thicker at the edge, which has hindered performance.

I know you still have some of his AS carbon clad classic 240mm gyuto's for sale. I was wondering if you might be able to take a picture of the profile of your selection as well as a choil shot to estimate the quality of the grind?

I push cut 90% of the time kitchen so knives with a large amount of belly simply will not work. Thanks in advance for your time if you are able to do what I have asked.

Best Regards,

Pete

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Have Takeda knives changed?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pete,

I can only guess who might have complained about his knives changing but I can assure you I've seen more knives, held more of his knives than just about anyone in the world and his grinds are just as good as they were the day I started dealing them. He hasn't changed his methods other than to add natural stone finish to his carbon clad knives.

His profiles have always varied from knife to knife since they're hand hammered. If you want one with a flat profile you can simply order a knife and in the comments section during check out you can ask for a knife with a flatter profile and I'll go through 5 or 6 and pick one out for you.

Of course if you don't like the knife you can send it back and I'll give you a full refund so don't worry about it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Have Takeda knives changed?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:21 am 
Forum Moderator

chefknivestogo wrote:"I can only guess who might have complained about his knives changing"

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]