It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: What type of steel is most desired?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:21 am 

For people who prefer the knife to keep sharpness for a long time, yet the knife being not impossible to sharpen?

Post subject: Re: What type of steel is most desired?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:48 am 

carbon steel. usually blue steel. aogami super to be my favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

HAP40 aka Voodoo steel.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 pm 

Mark - Since you brought it up, any ETA on the new HAP40 line?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nothing is impossible to sharpen when you use Shapton Glass Stones. ;)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:58 pm 

What is exactly a "long time"?
Being ITK a long time is a week for me, using white and aebl..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:05 am 

I second Mark with the HAP40. Though I am still anxiously waiting to get my hands on it. Already have plans for a conversion, custom handle and saya :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

666 <> As "impossible to sharpen" is sort of moot, here are some steels with exceptional edge retention...

"HAP40 is a semi stainless, Powdered High Speed Steel that takes and holds an edge better than any other steel available on our site. We think it holds the potential to become one of the best steels on the market for the production of high quality kitchen knives. Hitachi manufactures this steel and it contains abundant amounts of hard elements like W (Tungsten), Mo(molybdenum), V(Vanadium) & Co(Cobalt) As a result, it can be hardened to 65-66 HRC and will hold it's edge an amazingly long time."

"ZDP-189 – Made up of Carbon: 3.00%, Tungsten: 1.50%, Vanadium: .10%, Chromium: 20.00%, Molybdenum: 1.30% This is one of the most recent developments in PM steels. It is extremely high in Carbon and Chromium making it very expensive to manufacture. It is known for its amazing wear resistance and capability to be hardened to 67 HRC. This is one of the harder steels to sharpen by hand. It is also known as MC66 and is used by Henckels under that alias."

"M390 – Made up of Carbon: 1.90%, Tungsten: .60%, Vanadium: 4.00%, Chromium: 20.00%, Molybdenum: 1.00%, Manganese: .30%, Silicon: .70% This is martensitic Chromium steel from Bohler-Uddenholm. There may be trace amounts of Phosphorus and Sulfur, but those levels are unknown. With extremely high corrosion and wear resistance, this is relatively new steel to the realm of kitchen knives. This steel will most likely become known for its edge retention abilities."

"CPM-154 – Made up of Carbon: 1.05%, Tungsten: .40%, Vanadium: .40%, Chromium: 14.00%, Molybdenum: 4.00%, Manganese: .50%, Phosphorus: .03%, Sulfur: .03%, Silicon: .80% Crucible’s updated and cleaner alloy of the CM-154 steel, it is made from the PM (powdered metallurgy) process and may contain trace amounts of Vanadium and Tungsten. It has excellent corrosion resistance and twice the wear resistance of CM-154"

"SG-2 is a powdered stainless steel that is well known for excellent wear resistance and is considered a great steel for high end, high quality kitchen knives. – Made up of Carbon: 1.25 – 1.45%, Vanadium: 1.80 – 2.20%, Chromium: 14.00 – 16.00%, Molybdenum: 2.30 – 3.30%, Manganese: .40%, Phosphorus: .03%, Sulfur: .03%, Silicon: .50% This is Takefu Specialty Steel’s PM (powdered metallurgy) steel. It has very high edge retention like ZDP-189, but has less wear resistance making it much easier to sharpen. Shun and Fallkniven are two of the more popular makers using this steel in their production lines. This steel is also called R-2 steel."

"Carpneter XHP is a steel that is used in a variety of knife applications including some kitchen knives that we sell at Chefknivestogo. Carpenter CTS XHP is made with the following composition 1.60 C, 0.50 Mn, 0.40 Si, 16.00 Cr, 0.35 Ni, 0.80 Mo, 0.45 V, Bal. Fe
The steel can be air hardened, it's high carbon, high chromium, corrosion resistant alloy which can be described as either a high hardness stainless steel or a corrosion resistant tool steel. Very nice stainless properties on this steel but can attain a maximum hardness of 64 HRC. Offers superior edge retention and the surface finish is excellent. This stuff has an ability to be machined to a fine edge and it holds an edge better than many other kitchen knife stainless steels currently on the market today."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:12 am 

I have a number of Fallkniven knives but they are not kitchen knives and have never been used as such.
It would be awesome to get my hands on HAP40 and at the same time use it on the daily basis.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:30 pm 

Carbon steel with some useful additives would be my vote. Blue #1 or Blue Super? I do fine with White #2, but since I'm a home chef, I don't really need extreme edge retention. Everything is a trade-off.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]