It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Henckels - Twin Cermax
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:14 am 

I have still one more question. There is a "line" on the bottom of the Cermax's blade, that indicates maybe the change of the material? Or something else? What will happen after some years, when I will reach this "line" by sharpening the knife? Will this knife be useless?
You can see this border/line on almost all the better knifes, also on the Miyabi. It is the place, where the damask pattern ends and then the rest of the material is flat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

That is where the cladding (jigane) stops and the core steel (hagane) gets exposed. After years of use you will eventually see this line become shorter and shorter, but fear not as the core steel actually extends far past that well into the blade, allowing you to have the knife thinned whenever it needs it.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:48 am 

Thanks, good to know. No fear anymore. :-)
But I can imagine some small problems with sharpening when you reach the jigane, that can appear, when you have a blade, that's not flat. That can be especially on some kind of damascus knifes, on that sharpening can be a little bit more difficult? Maybe...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:59 am 
Forum Moderator

By the time you reach the cladding line the knife will be thick enough that any "holes" in the grind (sometimes on cheaper blades) will have enough steel around them that you will be able to grind them out. If you grind all surrounding metal even then there is no hole.

Damascus knives tend to have really good grinds as they need to in order to show the damascus pattern with uniformity. If the grind has low spots or high spots then the finish won't look right. This is pending the damascus cladding was forged properly, etc. The biggest thing you want to watch for with damascus knives is not to scratch the finish up, because those don't polish out so easy, so just be a little more careful especially while thinning. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:40 pm 

I have another Twin Cermax coming this weekend by a concerened Chef, concerned because he is giving his beloved knife to a stranger to sharpen. (I completely get his concern by the way, it happens a lot but in most cases, after I talk to the chef and provide the soothing words such as "Japanese Water Stones", "scratch patterns", "Shaun Fernandez", the fear vanishes :) )

Speaking of thinning, I tape the sides of blades when thinning just to be safe. One time I caused a scratch just by the blade which was in pristine condition touching the corner of the stone as I put the knife down to grab the next stone" I once tried laying the blade completely flat (used my own knife for this) and thinned, and I did this because it appeared in the video I watched by Mr. Carter that he was doing this. While the knife did indeed become thinner, I created some very substantial scratches on the blade as high spots and low spots revealed themselves.

I'm just rambling here, I know.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Knife Fanatic wrote:"...I always wanted to check one of those [Twin Cermax] out! If I'm not mistaken the steel should be ZDP-189..."

Thank you for the lesson. I never knew the Cermax was MC66.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

:D :lol: :D Soothing words like "Japanese water stones" and "scratch patterns", sure, but I seriously doubt that last one is going to get you any extra business. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:35 pm 

Today a had my hands on Miyabi 5000MCD knives. It's the same material of the blade's core MC66, so I was really curious about them. Unlike my Twin Profection it's handles are made of more quality material, a little soft, it remainds me some nature material (maybe cork), but it's not at all - it's some kind of "plastic" but I felt it as to be very comfortable in my hand - much more than the micarta handles of my Twin Profection. The blade is much more solid and incredibly sharp with nice damascus pattern. I'm really unable to make such a sharpness on my Twin Profection knives at all. These knives are also more expensive than the Twin Cermax line these days (as everyone knows).
I'm afraid the dealer did not have the Twin Cermax knifes at all, so I will have to look to another one. I need to have my hands on some of these knives before I will buy any... :-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:01 pm 

I already own the 200 mm Twin Cermax chef's knife for some days. First of all - I was really impressed by it's out of the box sharpness compared to common Twin Profection line of knifes, that Henckels makes from their basic steel. I think it almost cannot be compared, because the Twin Protection was never so wonderfully sharp. Hope it will last some time. The second thing I was impressed was how fast it get some rust on the rivets from my wet hand. It was easy to clean it up, but I was really surprised how fast it appeared on the rivets. The third thing was the packaging - I have never bought such expensive knife, so I was also really impressed by it's packaging. The knife is not well balanced (the balance point is just behind the bolster, so it's handle heavy as mentioned somewhere), but it's not so imporant for me. The biggest problem could be for anyone with bigger hand the "ergonomic" handle, because the closer to the bolster the thinner it is - nothing for big hands. The non ergonomic flat handles are better from this point of view. But I still have small hands, so it's also no problem for me and I can find the right place for the pinch grip. Still have no chips on the blade, but still did not have a chance to "create" some while cutting onions, meat, mashing garlics, etc. I think good challenge for that (chips) will be cutting smaller fish or filleting salmon or similar. The material of the blade is much more harder than Twin Profection and has different sound when I knock on it, it sounds somehow more "tinny", the Twin Profection sounds more like forget piece, but I don't know if this could be compared at all, because of different material and it's thickness. I still did not try to sharp it, bacause I don't think I could do it ever sharper than it is from the factory.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:35 pm 

After a month of using this knife, I'm still impressed by it's sharpness and also how it keeps the sharpness generally. It's something really different compared to Twin Profection.
The main problems are chips: due to the chips this knife must be sharpen too often and so the main advantage of better material is gone. It's way too hard. After using it on cutting just vegetables, it has microchips after just a week. Now I have some smaller chip on the blade, that I'm unable to resharpen by myself. So it's bad, I'm little bit disappointed.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2