It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Choices, choices
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:48 am 

Hey all,
Wondering if I could get a little help in blowing my hard earned money.

Right now I'm between a Richmond Super Aogami Laser and a Masakage Shimo (both Gyutos).

Shaun has said they both rock so is the Shimo worth the extra bucks?

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Jurgens

Post subject: Re: Choices, choices
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:54 am 

Can't comment on the quality of either as I have never used them, but the Shimo rates a bit higher on my coolness meter.

'course the AS Laser rates higher on my wallet meter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:56 pm 

Given your interest I would also consider the Masakage Yuki - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy24.html A better value than the Shimo to me and still some "cool factor".
I do think the Richmond Super Aogami Laser has the best steel between the three.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

This is a great thread, I've actually been wanting to compare these 2 knives a bit.

The Shimo and AS Laser are 2 knives that are VERY close performance wise IMO while still being different. These 2 blades represent the 2 thinnest-behind-the-edge gyutos on the website to my knowledge. Paper thin grinds with medium weight bodies. If I'm not mistaken the AS Laser might be a little bit taller of a knife height wise, but not by much.

The Shimo has a much cooler finish of course, and that is reflected in the price. The finish is reactive.

The AS Laser is a no-frills performer. It is stainless clad.

Fit and finish on both blades (in respect to rounding of edges, uniformity of finish, etc) is about the same. The edges on the spine and choil are eased but not rounded on both blades.

So, both knives compare very well IMO, it's really almost a matter of which finish you want. The Shimo series really holds a special place in my heart for some reason..... I feel as if someone was trying very hard to make them good blades. Really wish I had a 240 Laser with me right now to compare with the 240 Shimo currently in my possession. 2 excellent blades, either one is an excellent choice.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:58 pm 

Thanks all,
So I'm in the same spot as I was after all of Shaun's videos. Same performance but the Shimo looks cool as hell. I guess if I get the Richmond I can apply the difference to a Shimo petty? And after I spend all that I can cook for myself since my wife left.. But at least with cool knives!

Jurgens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:04 pm 

coachnj wrote:Thanks all,
....And after I spend all that I can cook for myself since my wife left.. But at least with cool knives!

You wouldn't be the first! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

....or the last!! :)

The carbon steel damascus cladding will form a really neat pattern when patina'd.

But, do not that it is all carbon. The stainless cladding of the AS Laser does have it's good points.

Between the two, I'd be stuck like you....cool or money.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jurgens - It's hard to describe, but easy to feel...there's just something about holding a Masakage in your hands. You can just feel the handmade craftmanship. I have the 210 Yuki and got to handle the Shimo Honesuki and Koishi Bunka recently during filming of the Quick Look videos for CKTG.

Nothing against the Laser AS - it's a great knife, but if you have the funds and don't mind a fully reactive blade, the Shimo will leave you grinning every time you use it IMO. Worth every stinkin' penny :-).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:15 am 

Masakage Koishi are incredible. AS steel, great profiles, nice F&F, good balance, very cool looking. I only have the 150 mm Petty, and it cuts incredibly well and precisely. Almost makes me wish I had gotten the Koishi 240 mm Gyuto with it instead of the Kono Fujiyama White #1, but the Kono is a work of art and I just loves it so...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:18 am 
Forum Moderator

Good save Doctor; you were bordering blasphemy...

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next