It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Gyuto for my wife
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Chefknivestogo,
I need a recommendation for a Gyuto for my wife. She has small hands and a small personality. When she reaches for knives in the kitchen, to do EVERYTHING, she reaches for the steak knives because they are light and easy to handle. I want to buy her a small bladed, light, well made Gyuto for Christmas. Can you recommend one from your lineup? I have a friend dedicated to the Tojiro line and they do seem wonderful. But I would like to hear from someone who has handled lots of knives. I would like a very light knife that can take, and hold, and extremely fine edge. I've been sharpening steak knives for years, so I'm okay with sharpening. But I would like a VERY good blade that can hold an EXTREMELY honed edge for a very long time. The specific brand name is not that important to me.

Thank you so much for your time.
Most sincerely,
Gary

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Gyuto for my wife
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gary,

I need more info. I'll guess and then give you a recommendation.

How much did you want to spend? (200.00 ish)
Do you want to buy here a wa handled knife or western? (western)
Do you prefer stainless? (yes)

You pay for edge retention. Usually powdered steels hold their edge longer than most other stainless steels so this knife comes to mind:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hasrs15post2.html

Tojiros are good bang for the buck knives but the edges don't hold for a particularly long time. But, they're much less expensive and I think she would like them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

You want a knife that holds an edge for a long time.....in comparison to what?

The powdered steel knife Mark linked to will hold an edge for a long time. However, if you're used to the edge holding length of a crap stainless Wal-Mart bought steak knife.....then almost any knife on CKTG will astonish you in that department and will open up many more knives to consider.

You mentioned a light knife several times, as well as one that can take a very good edge. The Richmond Laser is very light, and will take a very nice edge if you're capable. And AEB-L holds an edge pretty well:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila21.html

You might also consider a 180mm wa-petty. If she likes that steak knife shape:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila18pe.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:16 pm 

Thank you gentlemen.
Mark, you guessed pretty danged accurately. I was hoping to keep the price closer to $100ish, but I'd go as high as $200 for one that will last and last. My wife doesn't have a preference for knife shape, per se, but more size and maneuverability.
A Western handle is the preference.
I can sharpen. I can get a shaving edge free handed with my DMT stones. I can do better with water stones and am hoping to buy a WIcked Edge package next year. I am confident that I can sharpen. I would like to buy one time. This puts pressure on the initial purchase and research. By "long time", I mean I want the edge to hold as long as possible. My wife still occasionally cuts on plates and the granite counter top. Until I can get her in the habit of always using the end grain cutting board, I need to worry about keeping the edge. Even if I go down to about 8 degrees per side, I still want to have the edge NOT role, or curl, or chip, or dull mid-meal.

An acquaintance of mine recommended the Hiromoto Aogami Super Series TJ-30AS Gyuto 180mm. How dose this compare with the one above or to others on the market?

Thank you very much Mark for starting this thread for me. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 pm 

Also, I think 180 mm is going to be about right for this. My wife is small of stature and hand size. A large knife is just going to be too unwieldy.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hiromoto AS is a carbon steel clad in stainless. I don't know what all you know, so if I say something you're already aware of, ignore it. :)

AS (Aogami Super, made by Hitachi) is a really good carbon steel. Holds an edge quite well.

The Hiromoto AS is not super thin, more in that workhorse category. Not thick either, like a Wusthof or some such.

Can take a killer edge.

It's a good all around knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

At that size a Santoku will work better for you since it's a little taller knife and less slicer like.

The Hiromoto Santoku is an excellent choice but there are others.

This Maruyoshi is a great little santoku, stainless, western handle and less money than my first suggestion. Size is right at about 170mm and it's super thin behind the edge giving it great performance.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hasakn.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:56 pm 

Thanks fellas. I was leaning away from the Santoku because of the sheep's foot point. It seems the Gyuto would be more flexible, though less massive up front. So many decisions and options... Adam, don't worry about talking "down" to me. I know a few things, but I tend to treat every day as new because I forget what happened yesterday... :D I am not familiar with the steels. So your take on the particulars is very welcome. I was thinking there must be a database somewhere that lists knife style, handle style, knife weight, blade length, and RC.
Thanks again, and please don't hesitate to keep offering opinions.
GTN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:58 pm 

Sorry for the rapid fire posts, I don't see a way to edit... I need to stay around 170 mm, with a Western handle, and as light as possible. It seems I saw one knife measuring less than 2mm at the spine, but I can't find it now...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:12 am 
Forum Moderator

My mom lovers her Hiromoto AS Santoku; it's the smaller of the two. Handle is a good size for her and she uses it for everything.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next