It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: laser gyuto with carbon cutting edge
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:36 am 

The Kono and Yusuke are very similar the specs on the 240 are almost identical. I have the 240 Yusuke and a 210 Kono and the fit and finish are also very close in comparison. I like the handle on the Yusuke it has a slight taper from the back to the furrule. It is also alittle thicker than the Kono. Handle on the Kono is slightly longer and thinner. The white#2 is the least reactive of my carbon blades. Easy to sharpen and maintain. Weight on my 240 Yusuke is 136 grams. For a laser it has a surprisingly stiff spine , not wimpy very little flex for its light weight. You cannot go wrong with either.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:47 pm 

I think I definitely want one of either the Kono Wt #2 or the Sakai Yusuke. I am also likely to pick up a Kohetsu at some point.

Does anyone know what the time frame for getting these guys in?

I am also looking at picking up a workhorse along the way, but the is an embarrassment of riches in the selection of interesting mid-heavy weight knives (Goko, Masakage, Itto-Ryu, Katsushinge Anryu, Moritaka #2, Richmond...) with carbon core in the sub $200 range, so I don't feel a need to time picking one up, so if the Kono/Saka Yusuke/Kohetsu is a ways off I will pick up a heavier weight knife now and get the laser later, if the wait is shorter....I guess I can have patience.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:38 am 
Forum Moderator

Mark has over 700 knives on order with Kono and it sometimes takes a while to arrive and when they come in stock, they fly out quickly. Mark may be able to chime in with an ETA, but he is in Mass until tomorrow or Monday.

I got to try the Goko and Katsushinge 240mm side by side and they both performed well. My Tanaka Sekiso edged them out slightly due to the different grind, but for workhorses, both perform well. Both have stainless cladding and release food well, and similar edge grinds. If you have bigger hands, the Goko has a larger D shaped handle and the Katsushinge has a more normal Wa sized oval handle. White #2 sharpens up easier than AS or Blue #2, but the AS or Blue #2 holds the edge longer. The edge profile on them is nearly identical, but the Goko is taller at the spine and pointier at the tip.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:29 am 

So...

Just ordered the Kohetsu 240mm.

I have signed up to be e-mailed when either the Sakai Yusuke or the the Kono Wt #2 comes in. I am leaning Kono, but will probably just pick up whatever comes in first.

I am still weighing a workhorse. I will probably wait. Since the Kohetsu is my first laser I may be leaning toward a Tanaka Seiko or a Moritaka AS instead of a true workhorse, but that it part of this exercise.

Thanks for all the help ya'll...I really value the input.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:40 am 
Forum Moderator

CEDAR <> The Kohetsu is going to blow your mind...

As for your middleweight, strongly consider the Anryu. Arguably the nicest middleweight on the site...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:10 pm 

I have ordered and received the Kohetsu 240mm.

I just ordered the Anryu 240mm from the closeout bin.

Really enjoying the Kohetsu, but I am waiting till I first sharpen to give any feedback...I knew it would cut like crazy, I just have no idea about the steel without breaking down the edge a bit then rebuilding it.

I will do the same for the Anryu when it gets here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Man, you were quick on that Anryu! Enjoy it, it's an awesome blade! I did a handle for a Kohetsu 240mm and used it tonight to slice down a cucumber. Performed VERY well with the factory edge! Fell right thru the cucumber with ease!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:24 am 

ha,

I have been watching to see when those come back in trying to decide if I could justify two knife purchases in one month...then the gods smiled on me :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:52 am 
Forum Moderator

CEDAR <> No doubt quick on the Anryu, and man will you be pleased. That knife sincerely impresses me...

And thank you for not commenting on your knife until you've used it for awhile & sharpened it. To be blunt, as is my way, it annoys the hell out of me to hear people expound upon knives they haven't even learned yet.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2