It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stones to complement my 1k Chosera stone
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:42 am 

Hi all,

I currently have a 1k Chosera stone that I am looking to expand with a low grit stone as well as a higher grit finisher stone. Originally I was looking at getting the matching Chosera 400 and 5k stones however after further reading I was looking at maybe the Numbatama Ume 320 for the low grit and a Arashiyama 6k for the finisher? Which of these options or any other that is available on the CKTG site would be the best fit. Currently I am about to purchase a konosuke hd2 so will be using these stones to sharpen that as well as a CCK cleaver and various German knifes of family and friends.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Post subject: Re: Stones to complement my 1k Chosera stone
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:44 am 

Hi Fitton.
Nothing wrong with the 400 and 5k Chosera, those 3 stones (incl your 1k) will give you and edge you'll be very proud of, I use that combo often. Your suggestion however is good, I have no experience with that particular 320 stone but I'm sure it is a great one. The Arishiyama 6k really is a fantastic stone to finish on.

Personally speaking, at the end of the day, any 320-500, 1k, 5k-6k combo from CKtG is going to give results you'll be very proud of. I have Shapton, Chosera, Nubatama, and others and I have to come realize that at the end the sharpening process, the knives are equally as sharp regardless of the brand of stones I chose. Now the journey to get to that final state will differ, there will be different feel, different sound, different length of time involved but when I put the knife up on the magnetic bar that says "finished", they are all pretty much just as sharp as each other. If there is a difference, it isn't the stone, it's the steel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

What is it that you like/dislike about the 1k Chocera? Knowing that would go pretty far in recommending another stones.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:56 pm 

To be honest I don’t have any issues with the 1k however I don’t have a great amount of experience with many other stones. I do find it quite slow to build up a slurry though. I have used a 6k King S-3 I think it was in the past and didn’t much like it due to it providing limited feedback. I do prefer the Chosera after a quick soak over using it as a splash and go as I feel it offers a better sharpening experience.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

If you like the Chocera's, it's hard to recommend against them....they are really nice stones.

I've never tried the Ume 320, but I have the Takenoko/Arashiyama. The Takenoko is a really nice stone....and I might still own it if it fit my sequence.

I use:

400 Latte
1k Ume Speckled
Rika (3 to 4k stone)
Naniwa 10k Superstone

The Takenoko is in between the Rika and Naniwa and isn't really necessary.

If you want a 6k(ish) stone, the Takenoko is a great choice.

The Latte 400 is a new favorite....I really love it. The Beston 500 isn't far behind though.

If you like Feedback stones, a sequence of:

400 Latte
1k Chocera
Rika or Takenoko would be a nice set up.

Then again, the Chocera's all provide great feedback as well.

I guess, at the end of the day, if you want to try something different.....do. If you just want good stone's and don't want to risk maybe getting something you don't like, stick with the Chocera's.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:06 pm 

The 6k Arashiyama would follow the 1k chosera nicely. IMO is a much nice stone than the 5k chosera and has better feedback.

For a coarse stone the 400 chosera would be fine, the latte is better but wears kinda quick though if you don't use a coarse stone much then it should be fine. The 320 Ume I haven't used yet but have used the 220 Ume. Cut pretty quick but had a really hard binder which IMO inhibited its full potential. The 220 also was not far off from the 400 chosera in cutting speed so I'm not sure where the 320 would sit in comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:58 pm 

The 6k Arashiyama is my favorite finishing stones.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:52 pm 

Cool, I have that stone and hardly use it, I'm going to throw it into my lineup tonight instead of the 5k Chosera or Bamboo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:05 pm 

the 400, 1k, 5k combo is pretty amazing, I started there but ended up with a full progression in the search for a mirror polish.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]