It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best 210mm Damascus Gyoto
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:01 pm 

I've finally sharpened all the lousy, dull knives in our home so I'm starting to think about a new knife. Here's my random, subjective criteria.

1 Under $300
2 Damascus, if possible
3 Right handed, if an issue
4 Not straight carbon steel that requires a lot of upkeep
5 Relatively easy to sharpen and keep sharp

So, I've scoured the site and come up with these in some order of preference. If possible, I'd like you to validate/recommend from this list or if I really missed something shoot me a new idea.

Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Damascus Gyoto 210mm - $244
Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyoto 210mm - $160
Tanaka Damascus Gyoto 210mm - $155
Yoshihiro Yauji Gyoto 210mm - $270
Kajihara 210mm Gyoto - $270

Konosuke HH Stainless Wa-Gyoto 210mm Ho - $215
Kohetsu Aogami Super 210mm Gyoto - $160

Post subject: Re: Best 210mm Damascus Gyoto
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

I know the Tanaka damascus is "straight carbon steel" and I'm all but certain the Yoshihiro and Kajihara are as well.

I've never seen:

Yoshihiro
Kikuichi Swedish

Of the others:

The Kohetsu is a great laser style knife....really a freak of a great deal IMHO.

The Tanaka is a perpetual favorite if you're after an all carbon, damascus clad, medium weight gyuto

The Kajihara is quite similar to the Tanaka from what I can recall (if I'm recalling the wrong knife, don't shoot, I'm unarmed)

The Sakai I recall being a good knife....but not one I'd pick from this group

The Konosuke HH is $8 less than the HD2.....I could never justify buying the HH over the HD....NEVER.

Which I'd buy would kind of depend on what I was after.

You didn't mention a criteria for heft (i.e. laser versus medium weight versus heavy weight), so:

If I wanted a laser.....I'd get the HD2 or the Kohetsu

If I wanted a medium weight, I'd get the Tanaka

If I wanted all of your criteria met, I'd get either the Kikuichi (I've heard good things about it, but never seen it) or I'd maybe try this:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kar2gy21.html

Again, heard good things....but not actually tried it.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

DVG <> Adam covered the bases, as usual, but to round it out some..

The Kajihara, Yauji & Tanaka are fully carbon.

I have the Kikuichi for about 2 weeks now, and am truly falling in love with this kinfe.

It is superbly thin while still inspiring strength, integrity & rigidity. I reckon due to the atypically broad neck & 60Hrc, but that's my speculation. It's a real sweetheart of a heat treat, and @Hrc60... it's really versatile! This is one of those hidden gems on the menu. I've been really impressed with the Gyuto because it performs everything w/o a comment. KISS always rings through my mind when I think about this knife. It's totally my style, in that, it just gets the job done. It is a bit too pretty for my taste, but it seems to be EXACTLY what you're looking for. The biased grain rosewood d-handles are totally my style... I LOVE D's! This one is a bit thin in diameter for my taste, in relation to the knife, but it is not incredibly bothersome ergonomically speaking. Admittedly, I'm big.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

This one is really good. Stainless, in your budget, best damascus of the bunch and hand made with a nice semi custom handle: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rida21gy.html

I also like you Kikuichi selection but I would go with the above over it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:03 pm 

Thanks guys for all the input. I'll take a look at all three recommended knives and pull the trigger on one of them. I really appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

DVG - I'm doing some video work for Mark and I just received that exact Kikuichi Swedish Warikomi Gyuto. I won't be putting steel to board on this project, but this knife exudes quality and performance from the moment you open the box. You can't get any better succinct summary of this knife than what Melampus composed. I'm 5' 7" with medium hands and the handle feels perfect. As Melampus stated, the neck is a bit wider than some and the handle is almost the same diameter as the neck, which may contribute to the sense that the handle is smaller than it's actual circumference. That's just my impression/interpretation. I'm also a lefty and I have no issue at all with the "D" handle when using a pinch grip.

It's a beautifully made knife that just screams "I may be pretty, but PUT ME TO WORK, DAMMIT!".

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]