It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: knife washing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:12 pm 

I just received my new knife and I am overjoyed it goes through food like butter. I just have one question how do I wash and dry this knife it is a katushige anryu nakiri

Post subject: Re: knife washing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:53 pm 

I use a scrub brush and hot water, but a washcloth can be used. Brush from the spine toward the edge (perpendicular to the blade), work down the blade till you get it all. A variation is to lay the knife flat on a surface (counter, side of sink,...) such that the edge, side of blade, and surface are basically one plane then scrub pretty much however you want. Rinse thoroughly.

Place a towel into your hand, place the spine of the knife into the palm of your hand, edge away from you, and dry along the knife as close the edge as possible. Anything that crosses over the edge will be sliced, so be careful of fingers first and foremost, and don't use your luck dish towel...just in case.

Your knife has a reactive core steel so the edge will patina and rust. Be thorough with the steel at the edge both cleaning and drying. I also like to store my knives so that there is some air flow to dry any additional moisture, a magnetic knife strip is awesome for this.

Ultimately, get it clean and dry as best you can...try not to hit the edge on anything (chip the edge), apply any lateral pressure to the edge (roll or chip the edge), or draw anything (read fingers) down the edge and you can't screw up too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Use a paper towel for the last drying step and make sure there are no droplets left on the blade; they will cause rust. Make sure the blade is fully dry (ie, let it sit out a bit after using the paper towel) before putting it in a block, saya, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:19 am 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/daily-knife-cleaning-t2557.html

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]