It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: your first stone!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:27 am 

I wanted to start a topic on choosing stones. any type: naturals, nubatamas, ect;...

I am actually looking for a stone for myself. I go to culinary school in Los angeles and I need sharp knives like any other student trying to become a chef.

Feel free to post anything regarding this

thanks!

Post subject: Re: your first stone!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:28 am 

Or any suggestions! thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:05 am 

Shapton Glass 1,000 grit and Shapton Glass 4,000 grit are one of the best places to start.

If you can afford it, Shapton Pro 1,000 and 5,000. Read my reviews on Shapton Pro stones and the Shapton Pro 1K and 5K stones in the customer review forum.

For my review of the Shapton Pro stones go to shapton-pro-sharpening-stones-t313.html

For my review of the Shapton Pro 1,000, 1,500, and 5,000 go to shapton-pro-5k-review-t322.html

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:54 am 

Thanks i will definitely check it out. Did you start off with these?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:00 am 
Forum Moderator

1222 <> You did say stone so you really have to go with a combination stone. Mark has an 800/6000 on his site, but I think thats a bit much for you. Norton makes a simple 1000/4000 that would be great for you. Its a relatively soft stone that will teach you to steady your angle by default or you'll dig in it. The King is soft, as well, but 800 is gonna cut too much & you dont need a 6000 polish. A simple combination water stone for a beginner wanting one stone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:25 am 
Forum Moderator

I love 320, 1k, 5k Pro.

Prices of Pro and Glass stones at CKTG are very similar.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:44 am 

Yes, I would sart with the Shaptons because they are great stones to end up with. Splash and go stones. As a student. You will find the Shapton Pro Stones work great because they are quite portable and can be carried in your kit.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 am 

Thanks a lot guys. I actually have a norton stone and have been practicing on it today. The funny thing is that I asked my chef today about his first stone and he actually gave it to me. I got to say its cracked, but very low at the stone so the rest is usable. It is a 1000 and 6000 grit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:25 am 

I have not used the stone yet but as soon as i do i will post on how it goes. Thanks a lot again and will inform on this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:44 pm 

Can't beat that! Have fun learning.

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next