It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond laser, Kohetsu or Hiromoto?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

One more question sorry for the inconvenience in advance I was looking at the hiromoto 240 Richmond as laser 240 and the kohetsu as 240 which would you recommend?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Richmond laser, Kohetsu or Hiromoto?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Without knowing more of your personal likes and dislikes here is how I would rate them in order.

Richmond AS Laser
Kohetsu
Hiromoto

I would flip the first two if price were factored in. I do like the hiromoto but it's has some minor issues that put it behind the other two.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

JOHN DOE <> You are, "looking at the hiromoto, Richmond AS laser, and the Kohetsu... which would you recommend?"

Which would we recommend to do what in what capacity.?!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hiromoto is more of a work horse type knife. By no means thick really, but not a laser like the other two are.

I like the Hiromoto....always have....probably never be able to shake that. :)

The Kohetsu is more of a laser. Nice F&F, nice steel, nice handle.

They're quite different knives.

AS Laser I've never seen one.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:13 am 
Forum Moderator

The AS Laser is VERY thin behind the edge, and has a nice convexing to it and then tapers back down towards the spine. Very powerful cutter, a bit heavier in the hand than the Kohetsu 240mm. The Kohetsu 240mm is thinner/lighter overall with a smooth shallow convex all the way up the blade and may be a touch thicker behind the edge than the AS Laser. AS Laser has a slightly steeper convex on the bottom 1/3 of the blade, which then turns to a concave grind to the spine to reduce some weight and sticking. The AS core steel in both will take and hold a wicked edge, HT is nailed on both! The AS Laser is slightly taller and has a slightly different profile than the Kohetsu. My AS Laser is on loan to a buddy, or I would take some side by side pics of the Kohetsu and AS Laser.

In use, I found the Kohetsu to be a little better all around performer in hard/tall ingredients due to the slightly shallower convexing of the blade. The AS Laser has a little steeper convexing since it is done on the lower 1/3 or so of the blade before it turns to concave, so on harder or taller ingredients, it may tend to make them split or wedge (big sweet potatoes come to mind) before the knife cuts through it if the item being cut can't flex around the convexing. Softer foods, both perform very well. With the sweet potatoes, I noticed I needed to put a little more weight behind the AS Laser when cutting the potato down in quarters(these were BIG sweet potatoes, like 3" in diameter and 6-7" long!!) than I needed to with the Kohetsu, but once they were into the 4 smaller pieces, both performed about the same slicing the smaller chunks since the food could move easier away from the blade.

If you want a lighter weight/thinner laser, go with the Kohetsu. If you want a slightly heavier, midweight go to gyuto with a TON of cutting power, go with the AS Laser. If you want a heavy handle western midweight with softer AS steel (less edge holding), go with the Hiromoto.

I have the AS Laser and will be ordering a 240mm Kohetsu soon :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:09 pm 

I am in the same boat and am thinking of getting a new chef knife. I have handled all three knives and I am going for the Kohetsu. It is the lightest of the bunch and in my opinion has the best edge. It just feels so right. If you really like the Konosuke HD steel then you will really like the Kohetsu.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

JASON <> What parallel are you drawing between HD steel & stainless warikomi blue super?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:20 am 

MELAMPUS<> I apologize for not being more specific to why I think both knives are so similar. The Kono HD gives a mild at best patina. The AS is San Mai so only the edge of the blade will patina in the Kohetsu where the product actually meets the AS. The blade steels are virtually the same rockwells and the weight between the two knives are nearly identical. I would even venture to say the Kohetsu is a little lighter.

Those are my parallels.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:22 am 
Forum Moderator

JASON <> No need to apologize. :) I read your post as comparing steel not knives...

"If you really like the Konosuke HD steel then you will really like the Kohetsu". I agree there are obvious similarities between the two knives overall.

Little tid-bit-trivia, too: The Kohetsu cladding is warikomi... {going beyond the generically ubiquitous san-mai reference.}

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:47 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:Without knowing more of your personal likes and dislikes here is how I would rate them in order.

Richmond AS Laser
Kohetsu
Hiromoto

I would flip the first two if price were factored in. I do like the hiromoto but it's has some minor issues that put it behind the other two.

Hey Mark, what kind of minor issues with the Hiromotos do you have in mind -- I know them for being a little inconsistent in F&F, but that's not that uncommon in that price range. Any serious beside of that?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]