It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:06 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 210mm Gyoto need help selecting
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:47 pm 

Thanks to everyone!!! Everyone can not be wrong...so yesterday I purchased Konosuke HD 240mm. For some reason to me the biggest question was whether to purchase 210mm or 240mm. I went with 240mm.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

SWARFY <> No problem. The OP had double posted in two sub-forums; I have since merged his redundancy.

666 <> Be aware the Konosuke is NOTHING like your Masamoto or German blades. Understand she is MUCH more fragile. Treat her with respect, and she will pay you back with a lifetime of pleasure. Mistreat her, and you can have a chipped blade in a matter of minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:02 am 

Seems like there was a problem yesterday on the site. I posted, yesterday, that I decided to go with Kohetsu HD 240mm. I actually placed an order for it yesterday.
It seams that, that post was dropped.

So Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I am going into uncharted Laser territory for the first time in my life and I also ordered a sharpening service from CKTG.
The overwhelming laser appreciation, and my complete lack of Laser knives, was the deciding factor that I was looking for.
The only real Question for me was to go with 210mm or 240mm. I went with 240 because the knife is very light as it is.

I also purchased Yoshiro 130mm petty. In pictures it looked so beautiful! I will let know everyone how that works out.
I have very high expectations for Kohetsu HD and even higher for Yoshiro.
My final petty choice was either Yoshiro or frosted Masakage. I hope I chose correctly.
We will see.

Thanks Everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 am 
Forum Moderator

666 <> There were no site issues. As stated a post ago, I merged your duplicate threads together.

Furthermore, I hope you ordered the knife you actually wanted as there is no such thing as a Kohetsu HD. There is the Richmond Kohetsu and there is the Konosuke HD. For that matter, there is the Maruyoshi HD, as well, but I don't think that was in your sights. I hope you were clear with what you wanted.

As for the Yoshihiro Yauji you purchased, I hope you are aware this is a single bevel knife. I also hope you are aware it is a fully-reactive blade; reactive cladding & reactive core. I find it to be hyper reactive to food while strangely stubborn to develop patina. Does have an AWESOME Wa, & takes a silly edge, but this is not a knife for someone who doesn't want to "maintain their knives on a regular basis."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:47 pm 

I did order Konosuke HD ..not Kohetsu. Slip of the tongue. My bad. The intention was to get a laser and that is what I got.

As far as Yoshiro I moved away from the idea of my existing stainless knives where I started and wanted to get something more carbon.
If you think that frosted Masakage is any different ...please let me know...but It is the same steel and probably the same reactivity.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice order....let us know how you like it when it comes. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:21 am 
Forum Moderator

666 <> I think the Shimo is extremely different... it's double-beveled.

As for steel, yes, they're both Shironiko, but that means nothing in regards to reactivity... not that I think reactivity is such a huge factor. It is simply a factor. The same steel forged by one can be very different from another.

They're both great knives. I'm just trying to make sure you understand what you're getting before you get them. Irrespective, of your having had already ordered.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 pm 

I never had a knife that was not close to 50 50....
It is only after I try to adjust to the single sided grounded knife, that I will know for sure if it is for me ...or not.
I heard Mark say in one of the video's that it takes only five minuets to adjust.
We will see.

I will have to say that it has been a long time since I had to adjust my philosophy on anything in life.
This purchase has not been just about acquiring things for me...but first of all learning.
I started with european handle stainless steel IDEA, and now I am experimenting with carbon, one sided wa handle.
This is a very large departure, but it is also a journey. :)

Thanks for your help.
I will let you know how it works out.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2