It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:02 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke HD or White #2 Gyuto?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mr. Richmond,

maybe you remember, as you can see in prior Mails I looked for a Gyuto half a year ago and asked you for your opinion.
Due to some job issues i skipped the idea of a new gyuto but now i have some income to spare and want to purchase a knife from you. But i changed my requirements and now i'm looking for a 240mm Wa-Gyuto. I narrowed it down to the Konosuke white#2 and the Konosuke HD Gyuto.
To make the final decision I need your opionion.

The most important things for me are: laser-like geometry, not too hard to sharped to extreme sharpness and edge retention (i read the HD is maybe better in that last aspect). I don't care so muss about the reactivity of the white#2 (i have some knifes in white#2 in use and have no issues with them) and the price difference seems to be not that relevant either.

I would apprechiate a feedback from you very much.

Best Regards,
Simon

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD or White #2 Gyuto?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Simon,
I think you have a good grasp of the differences. The geometry on both knives is the same. The same factory makes the HH, HD and white #2 lines and they cut the same blade shapes for each line. We sell the HD better since it has some chromium in it and it's way less reactive. Other than that they're pretty similar. The white 2 is easier to sharpen and the hd holds an edge a little longer.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

since there are no further answers in the thread, can I maybe ask you the question how much harder to sharpen the HD-steel is compared to White#2, how big is the difference in maximum achievable sharpness and how much better the edge retention is in the HD-steel. I know i'm asking for a subjective opinion. Or are the differences very small?

In a comment of Aaron Gibsons Youtube-Channel I read about, that the White#2 is the "superior Laser" compared to the HD-Series which is a little thicker behind the edge in his opinion or something like that.

You would help me very much to make my final decision and make my order in your shop very soon.

Regards,
Simon

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Simon,

I find them both easy to sharpen. I think the white #2 is a little easier but I consider the HD an easy knife to sharpen too. The difference is small.

Both knives are made by the same blacksmith shop using the same size blanks. They are ground and finished on a big wheel and the can vary a little from knife to knife which may be what happened to Aaron's when he compared them. My general experience is that the two shapes and geometry are almost identical.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:33 pm 

I bought the HD simply because of the semi-stainless steel. I have other white carbon knives and I wanted to try something different. As far as sharpness and ease of sharpening the differences are so minor I doubt you could tell the difference. I'm glad I tried the HD because I do like the lesser maintenancee, it is an exceptional knife, and I don't have that burning curiosity anymore. No regrets at all!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

SIMON <> Wrap your head around the fact the differences between these two knives are extremely minute. I agree with Aaron, in that, the Shironiko is a slightly thinner overall knife... behind the edge & beyond, but we're talking micrometers.

Simple facts, these are both quintessential examples of laser cutlery. The steels both have their own pros & cons... but I need not regurgitate them, I'm sure.

If you don't mind caring for carbon, get the Shironiko. I use it in a professional kitchen, and every once in awhile I find myself just smiling while I'm processing with it because it's just that awesome. (I don't smile much, PARTICULARLY @work)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

The differences are very small.

White steel is among the easiest steels to sharpen. The HD steel isn't far behind. You may, or may not, notice a difference in fact....they're that close.

As far as maximum, achievable sharpness....white wins again. However, for all rights and purposes that's a theoretical win. Most people don't have the equipment, time, or desire to take their knives to a level past the capability of HD. I hope that makes sense.

Edge retention I can't comment on specifically as I'm a lowly home cook who never let's his knives get close to dull. :) I will say that both hold an edge at least very well.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:12 pm 

If you are a cook I would prefer the HD. I don't have time to deal with reactivity. That seems like the biggest difference to me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]